Finally ready to plant

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Looks like the ground finally thawed up at my place so I’m ready to plant way later than past years. I’m picking up my trees next Saturday and putting them in on Sunday. This year it will be
1 Arkansas Black
1 Zestar
1 Fireside
1 snowsweet
2 Prairie Magic
4 Hunters Jewel Apple/crab

I gotta start doing this.
Good for you and all the fruit tree guys.

Maybe next year I should skip plots :).

A food plot (minus clover) is a short term investment of time/money that hopefully pays off for one season. Fruit trees are a long term investment that hopefully, eventually will pay off for many, many seasons.

At least that's what I keep telling myself as I look at these stubby 1-3 year old trees not producing anything at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you guys waiting for apples to fruit - they're candy for deer. My camp has some old apple trees and even with food plots, when the apples are dropping, we have deer literally running to those trees to be the first one there. I watched as an 8 pt., a 6, and 2 does busted it down the hill behind camp when they heard apples hit the ground. Quite a sight - like kids fighting over candy !!

Bill - you gotta plant some long-term "candy" !!

I can tell you guys waiting for apples to fruit - they're candy for deer. My camp has some old apple trees and even with food plots, when the apples are dropping, we have deer literally running to those trees to be the first one there. I watched as an 8 pt., a 6, and 2 does busted it down the hill behind camp when they heard apples hit the ground. Quite a sight - like kids fighting over candy !!

Bill - you gotta plant some long-term "candy" !!

Do you ever take a dozen or so up in the stand wth you and throw them to mimick dropping apples?

Or do both!

I had to Google the Hunters Jewel that one was new to me.

Telemark - No. I haven't dropped apples from a stand. I didn't really see the need when we have them drop naturally. Apples up in the stand would prob. be eaten - - by ME !!

Telemark - No. I haven't dropped apples from a stand. I didn't really see the need when we have them drop naturally. Apples up in the stand would prob. be eaten - - by ME !!

Could be fun to try. I am hoping I can use that trick one day. I have heard people even do that with acorns. Would be awesome to have them come in when I am expecting them.

Or do both!

I had to Google the Hunters Jewel that one was new to me.

The guy that came up with it told me that it is his favorite Apple to eat.

I picked my trees up Saturday and planted yesterday. The trees look great with most standing taller than 6 feet tall in the ground. The ticks were sure thick. I was only in my plot but 0037EDCA-D55C-4182-9FEC-E9DDC7733D0D.jpeg8D431772-D8EF-4567-9975-EE6C82369131.jpegB8E91A01-2B4F-47C9-9C2B-7AF09E0BDBBA.jpeghad numerous ticks crawling up my arms. I’m glad I pretreated my clothes.

Nice looking trees, Peeps.

Made it back up to water my trees, it’s been really dry up here. The cages were coated with ticks. I reached in to adjust my hose, bumped the cage, and promptly had 8 ticks on my forearm.

These look like great trees, spaced nicely and well protected. I think you're going to have fun with these, and my guess is that the deer will be flocking to them once they begin producing in quantity. Yikes... we have ticks too, but not like that! Good move taking the appropriate precautions.