Fighting RCG (Reed Canary Grass)

I can wait longer on the spraying...I can wait into October as I know the RCG is a warm season plant..but I want to get some growth out of the Rye before those late October frosts start sneaking in...

Issuing my standard disclaimer about me failing with RCG (amongst other things) more than succeeding thus far - But to me it makes sense to make sure the RCG seed/rhizomes have had enough time and precip to grow after tilling before spraying to make sure you're killing the bulk of the high % growth stuff. So overall duration might be different if soil is dry when you till it and it goes a week + without precip compared to tilling a moist soil that gets rain immediately after you till it.

I haven't been to my place for a couple weeks to see how the disked ground looks with regen. I'm real curious how it looks!

Issuing my standard disclaimer about me failing with RCG (amongst other things) more than succeeding thus far - But to me it makes sense to make sure the RCG seed/rhizomes have had enough time and precip to grow after tilling before spraying. So overall duration might be different if soil is dry when you till it and it goes a week + without precip compared to tilling a moist soil that gets rain immediately after you till it.
trying to get it done tonight after a line of t storms today then at least 2-3 more good rain chances in the 10 day forecast, plus where the RCG is now is in a traditionally wetter spot and we have gotten some good rains here in the last month or so..I would guess it wont have much trouble coming up (although it is supposed to be below average temps for a couple days so that probably wont help)

trying to get it done tonight after a line of t storms today then at least 2-3 more good rain chances in the 10 day forecast, plus where the RCG is now is in a traditionally wetter spot and we have gotten some good rains here in the last month or so..I would guess it wont have much trouble coming up (although it is supposed to be below average temps for a couple days so that probably wont help)
Reed Canary Grass needs at least multiple applications of glyphosate for a complete kill off. Winter ride seed can germinate down to freezing soil temperatures. I would give it a shot of glyphosate now and another in 2 weeks or so. On the same day as the second application that's when I would spread the winter rye.

Reed Canary Grass needs at least multiple applications of glyphosate for a complete kill off. Winter ride seed can germinate down to freezing soil temperatures. I would give it a shot of glyphosate now and another in 2 weeks or so. On the same day as the second application that's when I would spread the winter rye.
Could I wait a week from when I mow/till (as I feel it would be a wasted spray to hit just-mowed/tilled ground) then hit it again in 1.5-2 weeks and put the rye down? The timing on the rye is not critical as it does not need to be a food source but more to be a cover crop. Really would love for this RCG to be knocked out.

Not completely relevant to what you are trying to accomplish but fighting RCG is my main habitat objective on my property. I may have shared this before, but I have been somewhat successful in spraying with gly in early spring. I noticed that most of the regrowth from the seedbank did not "seed out." I spray early to avoid killing any more natives than I have to. My farm also floods yearly, so I will never win the battle but spraying even just once per year has completely transformed my bottom areas that went from pure RCG monocultures to very productive pollinator and shrubby cover. RCG can definitely be eliminated in areas that are not being reseeded from flood waters. Attack it just like you would fescue, early and late, and use gly, clethodim can control it if you have the right conditions (4-8 inches tall, temps above 50 for two days before and after spray) and want to preserve other herbaceous growth. Below is regrowth where RCG was sprayed in foreground, background shows monoculture of RCG. I got this all sprayed this year and it exploded with similar growth and button bush that was previously struggling.

Attachments

• 01fcc2a3a4a1c00c375076deff10fb56089d2f0586.jpg
    01fcc2a3a4a1c00c375076deff10fb56089d2f0586.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 14
Disked up some perimeter of the field inside my existing screen to prep for what I hope is a more successful screen next year. I also sprayed the last green RCG inside the planned food plot area and drilled in a heavy dose of rye with a mix of clovers/chicory and sprinkle of brassicas. I don't even really want a plot here for hunting season but thought i should get some living roots going to compete in the spring.

If this doesn't work I think the next step is to flip and bury the RCG mat in the spring with a plow. There is a section of the field that i'm currently using to expand bedding cover that the prior owner had plowed and the RCG is not fighting too hard to get back into it. I hit the buried RCG sod layer when digging trees in this spring. It would be nice to have a fresh slate, smooth out the field for planting, and hopefully be mostly rid of this crap.

Checked out this field for the first time since I drilled rye/clover into dead RCG sod mat on Labor Day. Looks like the RCG stayed dead in most spots and the rye is getting a good head start on it. This is also a good first reminder that I should probably be less lackadasical about my planting rows if I'm going to be posting pics on the internet haha!

B97C345C-B18A-4723-9DEF-D73BF255D6CC.jpegA67FA6D5-C9D6-433A-85F0-5F9583651566.jpeg

Last edited:
So my spraying/seeding got pushed back to this week and we may have already had a frost (a light one, but it was there) and calling for rain and snow next week with a big rain on Thursday (1"+)...Still going to spray just to give the rye a better start, but will it grow decently even in the cold temps? I know it will germinate (I think the heavy rain will help with that too), but will the growth be decent. I am putting a 56 lb bag in about a quarter acre (I know this is alot) but want to see if I can get the rye to outcompete the remaining RCG.

Got the rye seeded and cultipacked on Tuesday, then sprayed with gly last night. Overnight got a good rain and more coming today (total about an inch), with some more warm weather this weekend before temps drop off next week. Hoping to see some germination before it gets too cold. I know the RCG will succumb to the cold, but was hoping the spraying might speed it along.