All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Rub Trees

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
What are the preferred rub trees in your areas ??

Around my hunting area, pitch pines, hemlocks, maples and witch hazel are the go-to trees for bucks. Younger spruce ( under 12 ft. tall ) draw attention too where they exist.

Young pines, sumac, cedars, maples are most of some of the ones they like around here.

Popple/Aspen & Pine

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Ours seem to like autumn olive a fair bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cedars, willows, soft maples. They rub our walnuts where we planted them and want them growing, but when I cut out a bad one and sink it in front of a trail cam it usually gets left alone. They rub my planted wild plums wildly.

Red cedar is probably #1 that i see around here. Tulip poplar might be close 2nd. After that i have seen about everything used, especially when in the sapling stage

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Red Cedar ,yaupon,sumac

bill

Red cedar is king in TN but I don’t know there’s anything I haven’t seen rubbed. I even saw rubs on pokeweed a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting replies. We are completely over run with red cedar but I rarely see a rub on one. Willows are always a favorite.

Young basswood

Reactions: Tap
Red cedar here also.

Pine, cedar, cottonwood, willow and basswood seem to get beat-up on my place.

Aspen is also a favorite if the farm has aspen.

Any spruce tree I put in the ground!

In the woods I've seen them rub about any type of tree here.

This pic is a few years old but my kids got these red pine from school for Arbor day or something like that so we planted them on the fenceline in the back. A couple of them were rubbed for a few years and we have red pine bushes.

W7uRYU6.jpg

I forgot one....chestnut....specifically my 6 foot, 3 gallon Chestnut Hill Chestnut....planted in 2014....they really, really, really loved that tree!

Red Willow and Aspen, Poplar seem to be favorites here. There are some rubs on Conifers, they are usually BIG.

In the right location, any tree. Cedar, sumac, apple, cherry, maple .... lowest preference box elder, elm, buckthorn.