Favorite/Best Food Plot Seed

Big Shooter

Buck Fawn
I am relatively new to the foodplot game and wondering what your guys favorite seed brand is for food plots. I am wondering if there is a staple seed brand like there is the staple tree brands on this site such as blue hills nursery. If there is no such "staple brand" listing some of your favorite mixes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help in advance

We all have our reasons for liking what we like. We got folks who plant 10 acres, plant over 100 acres, or just a few like me.

A little or this, a little of that, and some of this adds up quickly. Nothing overly fancy to them, but I do like plotspike products from tractor supply. Their forage feast has several grains, peas, and clover / chicory. Nothing amazing, but it works and for small batch prices, they seem decent to me.

I have been using a local agway for things for the past few years. Their clover prices / lb have been creeping up. Seed world has been good to me far as prices and service goes. I been wanting to try peddington patriot ladino clover. I ordered some, they were out and sent me durana instead. I told them I needed patriot for my zone 3 planting. So, they sent me patriot at no extra cost.

Bulkier items like rye I found a local feed store. They got no name wheat, rye, and oats. All grown on local soils here. Again nothing fancy, but it works and it's easy on the wallet.

I go to each of them for different things. The agway visit is very affordable with fertilizer. I literally make my daily driver economy car a low rider for the hour and half ride back. They're about 20 minutes from work, but in the wrong direction.

I ordered some milpa seed from green cover, they have stuff many other places don't carry.

Whatever you choose, don't monocrop. Blends works much better in my opinion.

I use seed from the co-op, seed world, and tractor supply to make a mix of different clovers. Usually 5-8 in there. Even still spend the extra $$$ to buy some of the imperial clover. It might only be 10% or so of what I use. I do not have a tractor or seed drill, so I substitute with putting down more seed and of less variety to make min/no-till possible. Basic stuff just goes further than fancy. Although I do splurge on clover a bit, because it offers alot of benefits to the lb of seed you buy. Expecially if you mow your food plots a few times a year. Otherwise, basic red clover can do you well.

Depending on where you live, you can probably find a local seed supplier. Just Google it. I have a great one in my small town who I use every year. I get great prices, don't pay shipping, and support local business. Best of all worlds!

And I'll say my favorite mix is a cereal grain, crimson clover, red clover, and daikon radish. Nothing fancy, good for the soil, and feeds deer almost year round.

I am relatively new to the foodplot game and wondering what your guys favorite seed brand is for food plots. I am wondering if there is a staple seed brand like there is the staple tree brands on this site such as blue hills nursery. If there is no such "staple brand" listing some of your favorite mixes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help in advance

I don't think there is a staple seed brand similar to what you see for wildlife trees. Depends on what best benefits your property but i've dont well with mostly what a local seed store or co-op has plus some specialty seeds like the HD plot screen from northwoods whitetails.

Winter rye, winter wheat, buckwheat - we buy locally at a feed mill / Agway.
Smaller seeds like clovers, alfalfa, chicory, and various brassicas - we buy from Welter's Seed in Iowa. Our camp doesn't buy "name brand" seeds, usually. We get more acres planted for less money that way.

I like whitetail institute fusion. Other than that I can’t make a recommendation. Chicory and radish are my two favorites. Almost always buy bulk co op seed unless I’m in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep reading ..let your budget run your decisions ..a little hidey hole in the woods opened with a one gallon sprayer of Gly and scratched out with a rake is better than none at all
Be thankful you have a woods to scratch out a hidey hole in ..some folks don't
A perennial plan is better for the budget .. spiced up annually when possible lightly with Brasicas
Learn what seeds to go cheap on and which one's to go upscale
The seed suppliers above are all legimate suppliers of quality fresh and mostly upper end performing seeds you can turn to with confidence but you will find each has a particular area that apeals to us "plotters" ..you just never stop learning ..I know I haven't

Bear

If you want to go cheap get cleaned whole wheat and cleaned oats from COOP they grow as good as anything

Chicory is very underrated! Drilling in rye in August/Sept is working great as well !

A lot depends on your soil/location..I’m in Northern PA zone 6..I like medium red or mammoth red clover from merit seed and always add winter rye in the mix in the fall because it grows everywhere and gets tall..but I mow my clovers in the late summer and plant brassicas into it..always plant a mix of several different varieties of annual/perennial/biannual clover when starting out and I always put a little more seed in at least the spring if not the fall..

Find the bag with the biggest buck on it that you can and go with that. ;)

I’ve tried it all basically. Plant it right and it all works. I can’t say my deer are real picky. They eat what I plant.

I can’t say my deer are real picky. They eat what I plant.
100% true statement for my place. So it is not the deer that drive what I plant - with a couple exceptions - it is what works for me and my conditions that I plant.

The exceptions - I dont plant things like sunflowers or beans that the deer eat to the dirt within a week of the plant emerging from the ground.

No corn or milo - I have hogs.

Nothing like brassicas or radishes that have to be planted around Sept 1 to have time to grow before cold weather - it is still 105 degrees here and probably no rain for a month

Winter rye - works great but gets tall too quick and the gobblers wont get in the food plots in the spring. Also, doves dont seem to be attracted to rye grain in summer like they are to wheat grain.

Chicory is well used - but it makes herbicide management of clover problematic.

Oats are ok - but tend to yellow up pretty quick in my wet soil.

Perrenial clovers good - durana was my favorite - but 105 degree temps and no rain usually means clover is gone by sept - and likely not to come back. So I now just plant standard ladino every year - whether the plot needs a clover boost or not. Almost half the price of durana and most other perennial clovers.

I used bagged field run wheat. I plant two tons. If I planted two acres, it wouldnt matter to me the cost of seed.

your deer will probably eat anything you plant - maybe not right away - but sooner or later. My deer would not eat beans, peas, or sunflowers the first couple of years. Now they eat them as soon as they pop out of the ground.

I could go on - but the point is - YOUR conditions - from your deer density to army worms - will direct you towards what works best for you. Advice from others is great - but dont hold it against them if it doesnt work for you. I have been planting food plots for 45 years - 33 yrs of that as part of my profession. I am still learning.

Depends what I need

Bulky stuff: Local
Small/Individual seeds: https://store.greencover.com/
Ragweed: https://roundstoneseed.com/
Flowers & back up clover: https://www.outsidepride.com/
Rare flowers: https://www.prairiemoon.com/

Just made an order with Green Cover. That site is an amazing resource for info on different crops even if you don't purchase anything from them.

Just made an order with Green Cover. That site is an amazing resource for info on different crops even if you don't purchase anything from them.
Check Keith Berns on You Tube "Carbonomics"

Its one of the best soil health primers you can find

bill