Fall planting medium red clover

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
I've never planted MRC before (mainly white varieties in the past) , so I've been doing lots of research on it before planting it this coming Saturday. It seems most people for cover cropping and pasture or hay renovation frost seed red clover in my zone. I know alot of people on here plant MRC in the fall and it works. Just wondering if it would be "better" to frost seed it or why it's more accepted to fall plant it in the food plot circles. It will be part of a mix though.

I've had good luck fall planting it in the Dbltree cereal grain mix.

Good luck fall planting in MO also.

I like to fall plant mine with Winter Rye. MRC is a short-lived perennial. I get a few years out of it in my area.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks guys. I guess my main question was why do foodplotters not plant MRC at the "ideal" times. From what I've read, most farmers/ranchers frost seed it into small grains or as part of pasture/hay field renovation.

Thanks guys. I guess my main question was why do foodplotters not plant MRC at the "ideal" times. From what I've read, most farmers/ranchers frost seed it into small grains or as part of pasture/hay field renovation.
I would argue that fall is the ideal time to plant any clover with frost seeding being a very distant 2nd choice.

Last edited:
I would argue that fall is the ideal time to plant any clover with frost seeding be a very distant 2nd choice.
I would strongly agree. I have limited to no success with frost seeding and tried it quite a bit. On the other hand I have had 100% success with fall planting with winter rye. I just picked up 20lbs of med red seed last night as a matter of fact.

I would argue that fall is the ideal time to plant any clover with frost seeding be a very distant 2nd choice.
Yeah, I've always planted white clover in the fall in Louisiana. But, from different things I've looked up, it seems a more common agricultural practice to frost seed MRC in Kentucky. Documents like "Growing Red Clover in Kentucky" by the University of Kentucky is one example.

I like others have said have not had great luck frost seeding in the spring on the other hand I've had real good success fall planting with cereal grains.

A pic of fall planted clovers with rye.

JDXrmVg.jpg

Food plotting is not farming. While some of the techniques farmers use to achieve their objectives my work for us, because our objectives are usually very different from farmers, often the techniques we employ are quite different. That can also be true within food plotting. Someone planting larger acreage trying to do QDM may have different goals and objectives than someone planting on a small 20 acre parcel to improve hunting.

Clover fixes N into the soil and small grains consume N from the soil. Because clover does not interfere with harvesting small grains, a farmer can reduce the amount of N he needs to add to the field. Similar thing for pasture renovation. Grasses consume N and legumes (clover) adds N.

Different food plotters may have different objectives from each other. In my case, I'm attempting to do QDM. I'm in an area where summer is a slightly higher stress period than winter. So, I plant warm season annuals for summer. Come fall, they no longer have what my deer need. So, I typically T&M a cover crop in the fall. I like a Winter Rye/Crimson Clover/Purple Top Turnip mix in general for my area. Every few year, I will decide to "rest" one of these feeding plots and take it out of the rotation for a couple years. Medium Red clover is ideal for that. I simply replace the Crimson Clover in my mix with MRC. The following spring, I don't plant it and the MRC takes over the field. After 2 or 3 years, the MRC stops producing well and I'll plant buckwheat in the spring and then go back to my normal rotation the following fall.

Other food plotters may be planting it for different reasons than me.

In general I find some big differences between food plotting and farming:

- We don't harvest. Most of what we plan that is consumed goes through the digestive tract of a deer and ends up back in the plot. Also, because we don't harvest, we don't need to worry about harvest equipment. This lets us plant a much wider variety of mixes of complementary crops.
- Anything other than what a farmer plants is a weed. For a food plotter, much of what we don't plant that grows in our fields is good deer food.
- Farmers are driven by the economics of production cost verses crop value. The generally plant to maximize yield. For most food plotters, yield is not a primary concern. The guy with a 20 acre parcel is not going to impact the herd in a measurable way but he can improve hunting by adding food plots in some cases. Yield is not important, but selecting crops that are sufficiently attractive but have sufficient browse tolerance for a small plot are much more important than yield for his success. For folks like me doing QDM, we are not trying to get deer to use our plots. We are trying to fill the gaps in nature to ensure there is quality food available during stress periods when nature is stingy. When conditions are good, many native foods are as or more nutritious than what we plant. As long as there is some quality food left in the plot after the stress period we were trying to cover, we have sufficient yield.

As a result of these differences, food plotters can focus on soil health and sustainability using different techniques than many farmers and provide quality food to deer at a much lower cost. This allows more time and resources to be applied to other high impact habitat improvements like timber management.

Thanks,

Jack

@yoderjac I appreciate the feedback. I understand all that. Like I've said, I've always planted white clover and crimson clover in the fall in Louisiana. It's always done great that way. I've been planting in Louisiana since the late 80's. Coming to Kentucky and reading up on planting practices and about establishing red clover and the university studies, it just seemed frost seeding was done more. I don't know. It's just what I've read. I want high production of red clover that will last from when the wheat stops being eaten until I refresh the plot next September.

@yoderjac I appreciate the feedback. I understand all that. Like I've said, I've always planted white clover and crimson clover in the fall in Louisiana. It's always done great that way. I've been planting in Louisiana since the late 80's. Coming to Kentucky and reading up on planting practices and about establishing red clover and the university studies, it just seemed frost seeding was done more. I don't know. It's just what I've read. I want high production of red clover that will last from when the wheat stops being eaten until I refresh the plot next September.

I knew you understood... It was just a great opportunity to address it for the many folks starting out that will read the thread. My guess is that the university studies are generally to support Ky farmers and would employ the techniques that match their objectives.

Thanks,

Jack

" We don't harvest. " ?

Whoa! I try to bring home something every hunt. I put a small table in my blind last year and here is what I brought home to my lady
after a not so successful hunt. One ruby topped turnip right outta my food plot!

Slice and fry in butter, it was awesome!

PS isn't clover edible? LOL

IMG_1248.jpg

True...Don't harvest in a commercial sense. I do pick turnips by hand. Each trip I fill a trash bag with what I can comfortably lift. We take most of them to church after cleaning them and put them in a bin with a sign "Free Turnips". It has been very interesting. At first, only old folks were taking them. Soon, I started to notice conversations between old folks and young couples over the turnip bin. Old folks were handing down recipes to younger folks who didn't really know anything about turnips (we are in a suburban environment). It was neat to watch.

Having said that, what we take is a tiny fraction of what our land produces unlike most farmers that harvest all they can. Of course, there are always some who leave some crops standing for wildlife.

Thanks,

Jack

@Belchertown Bowman and @yoderjac Do y'all ever bring home any of the tops? My wife wants me to plant turnips just so we can bring home some greens. I love some mustard or turnip greens with cornbread.

@Belchertown Bowman and @yoderjac Do y'all ever bring home any of the tops? My wife wants me to plant turnips just so we can bring home some greens. I love some mustard or turnip greens with cornbread.

I did not grow up with turnip greens and I haven't found a way I like them except as an accent to salad and I prefer GHR greens for that. I do have friends who like turnip greens so I do bring them back on occasion.

Thanks,

Jack

I did not grow up with turnip greens and I haven't found a way I like them except as an accent to salad and I prefer GHR greens for that. I do have friends who like turnip greens so I do bring them back on occasion.

Thanks,

Jack
My wife cooks them with a ham hock and I'm not sure what else in a pressure cooker or simmers them for a LONG time until they are tender. They have to be washed a lot too before cooking to get all the grit off. Eat with cornbread and the hot vinegar from peppers sauce.