Eye Bolt Trail Cam Mount

Encapsulated nut" sounds like something we see at work allot

Also don't screw them in to tight in the cam. You can pull the encapsulated nut out of the body.
I better not tell my BIL about this idea then. I can hear it now. :rolleyes:

I made some of these thinking that all cam mounting holes were the same...they arent!! I have some of the original Moultrie M80s and they have some off the wall proprietary thread. I even brought the cam to different hardware stores and no one could match it for me!!!

I made some of these thinking that all cam mounting holes were the same...they arent!! I have some of the original Moultrie M80s and they have some off the wall proprietary thread. I even brought the cam to different hardware stores and no one could match it for me!!!
^ Odd that Moutrie would do that. Standard USA threads for cameras has been 1/4" x 20 tpi for many, many years. But the asian companies have been known to "make up" thread ideas for screw inserts. The European camera mount threads are somewhat larger.....but I cannot remember the thread details.

Sounds like it's time for some epoxy and a 1/4-20 nut.

I had 4 of the original M-80's and they all had 1/4 x 20 inserts. But I did have on of the 4 that had a burr on the thread. It was just enough of a burr to prevent the stud from starting so it came out easy with a bottom tap.

Thats strange because I bought the size and when I went to screw them in, they were loose I took the actual camera to the store and the guy tried all kinds of sizes metric and US and nothing would fit properly. It was awhile back so I dont remember the exact details but I still have the 4 I made somewhere in a bag for use if I change cams.

It was LickCreek that posted the original plans on another site and I still have them here looking at them. It too was a 1/4 - 20 eye bolt and I bought everything directly from his list.

image.jpg image.jpg No hole on bottom or top

Is there a fine thread eye bolt?

I have 2 Moultrie M-80's and they are NOT 1/4" threaded holes. Maybe 3/16"--haven't tried that yet.

They could be metric 5mm.

It is 3/16/" but fine thread. Any eye bolt sources for fine thread? Moultrie M-80

Made 6 of these in a very short time. Very easy, cheap, ingenious!

I am curious as to how your worked with those nimble fingers of yours with your fine motor skills? you would think with the size of those hands (surgically implanted bratwursts) it may have taken a little be longer than "a very short time." :)

And now you know why I had to give up brain surgery! BTW these mounts are working well.

I've used four of the described mounts all summer and early fall. This is a great low-cost solution. Easy, precise, placement. Love these.

I just bought a couple Tasco trail cams and had to make up a few of these so I could put them out and I thought I would bring back this old thread on DIY trail cam brackets. I mounted them on 4' and 5' "U" posts so they can be put anywhere, I also made up a couple screw in ones, you can make these fairly reasonable post and all I have less than $7.00.

b03X6Jk.jpg

DQCQZMV.jpg

I’ve yet made one of those but keep threatening it. Seems I never think about how to hang a camera until I’m trying to hang it...

This is new to me, and a great idea. Thanks for reviving this post Scott.