All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External battery for a Bushnell Trophy Cam

deere4455

A good 3 year old buck
Hello,
New to this forum, I have several Bushnell cameras and happy with them. The battery life is good but im looking for something better in the cold weather. I have used lithium batteries and works well but I have 13 cameras, gets expensive. Has anyone hooked up a external battery to a Bushnell? If so what do I need.

Thanks,
Todd

Hey Todd,

Don't know the voltage of your camera but we actually use lawnmower & car batteries that people consider no good to run all of our 12v cameras. Will generally run a camera for a couple years after they are " no good@ but camera had to be 12v.

I accidentally hooked a 9v camera to one recently & cooked the camera !!

Make sure your cams are the right voltage matched up. The e2 for example is 12v but doesn't have an external jack to prevent people from thinking it is 6v like the other trophy cams.

Not a lot of people use the externals on bushnells because of their good battery life. It can be done, though. I'd probably look into using rechargeable AAs if the goal is better cold weather performance and if you don't want to spend the money on lithium. Are you using video or pic mode in winter weather?

If you are using just photos - and not getting a thousand pics a week, then I'd probably also consider using lithium and running the cams on 4 batteries only. I've ran similar voltage and similar battery lifespan cams on 4 lithiums just fine through an entire winter and spring. Granted it was not on a supplemental feeding spot but it was in cold snowy NY.