Experienced corn planters

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
My buddy has a 6 acre field that he wants to
put 2 acres of corn in next Spring. Right now it’s currently in Timothy Hay and has been for prob the last 10-15 years. His PH is 6.2 so that’s ideal for corn. Sandy soil tho CEC 9.5 , OM 5.4. Should he terminate the field now or wait til green up next Spring? What plan would you take? Should he go with RR corn? There is a farmer down the street that has a corn planter so at least that is squared away. It would be left standing for the winter. Located in Connecticut . Any help would be great .

What will be the plan for prepping the field? Tillage?

I would till right into the WW, good green OM. It will be gone once he sprays.

Yes, tillage. How deep should it be tilled?

3 to 4 inches. Seeds will get put in about 2 inches with a large planter. Gives the roots a good zone to start in.

The earlier it is planted the better, especially with sandy soils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re going to be dealing with some sod. Hay has big mass roots it’s just going to depend on the planter and how it handles it. I like to break the ground up with tillage and a cover crop like buckwheat or rye First but, it’s probably a little late now unless you can do it right away. Definitely the RR corn. A bag of corn will usually do about 3 acres so you Might consider a bigger area than the 2 acres and use up the bag.

if it was me and possible, I would wait till next yr, and then disc site well, then wait a week or two, and disc again before green up on anything that comes up
if using a NO till drill to plant corn,
discing twice will cut up the root clumps, and then having some down time after the last disc(say a few rains or some time, as this will help settle the soil and make a decent bed, and allow the corn tom plant well !
I have done this many times over the yrs and always had really good luck

I have also done this without a corn planter, and just disced the seeds in on a third disc when date was right for planting corn!(temps and such)

I will also throw this out, National Turkey federation often has super discounted LAST yr corn seeds at a fraction of the price for a NE bag of seeds, I have used it off and on for 25 yrs or so, and never had a bag fail to take and make a GREAT crop, as long as I do my part(correct soil nutrients as needed) and weather works out!
just something to consider as seeds to need to be some what pre ordered thru there local branch to you(also have to be a member, 25 bucks a yr)
just in case you didn;t know of this option, my last bag's of RR corn were normally 350+ dollar bags of seeds and price thru TWTF was 30 bucks a bag for me? that's a HUGE difference in savings! IMO!

Thx guys for responses. Any other input u guys got please pass along. I’m sure the farmer who will plant it will be knowledgeable too, but I’d like to do the best prep work possible.

The amount of minimum acreage of corn required to meet your objectives varies from one property location to another. When seven acres of corn has been planted here twice on seven acres and grows at about a 50% efficiency rate as compared to the best farmer, the best farm soil and the highest rates of input the last kernel of corn is gobbled up in early December. Two acres here when tried didn’t make it thru November. Your property could be different.

I'd terminate and fall plow it personally. Spring plowing works well too, under the right conditions. Seems the surest way to have a chance at a real nice stand of corn next year. As Chainsaw said, a field that small would never make it here either. Any chance he could plant the whole 7 acres to corn, and then leave 2 acres stand come next fall?

He has very high deer numbers too at his place. It sounds like 2-3 acres would not be a great idea. He can’t do more than 3 he said.

Here is the thing with food plots, they don’t transition well using food plot equipment to real equipment. Just like there are specialized pieces for plotters, actual Ag equipment has specialties as well. Not to mention the many ways it can be set up to work the best with practices used by the farmer.

I would check with the farmer and see what he usually does then mimic that. If he has his planter set up for no-till then that may be his go-to. If he usually cultivates, then his planter is likely set up for that.

While we may have great intentions, if it is contrary to the use of the equipment, it could set your buddy up for a less than stellar outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk