All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eat your heart out

bueller

For those who have never saved a heart from a deer they have killed, do it! Then cut off any fat and arteries. Slice into thin strips. Rinse with cold water. Dust them with your favorite fish breading. Fry them in butter and oil. Add onions if you wish, but not necessary. Enjoy one of the best finger foods available. Your welcome :D

You don't have to convince me. I'll walk right past the tenderloin to get at the heart.

When my son shot his deer, I did the field dressing. I showed him the heart and lungs and also placed them against the deer so he would have a better understanding of a deer's anatomy. I asked if we should take the heart home and eat it. He gives me the look and says, "dad, I'm not putting the nuts in a tree and I'm not eating that!"

Honestly don't think I could do it either.

You put the nuts in a tree too? I thought I was the only one that did that.

I don't save any of the organs - I ask every year if anyone wants them and I get no takers. No heart or liver either. I'm not a fan. My grandfather loved liver, but my grandmother hated cooking it, so that means no liver! Every time I gut one - I think of their little spat of the topic - it's funny to listen to old people argue! I swear he did it sometimes just to get her dander up - ornery old fart!

I dont know.
My first impulse is say I'll pass but that was my first impulse on deer meat in a jar. And I turned out to be mistaken on that one.

My dad would save the liver and I thought it was ok with onions and bacon. Saving the heart was never discussed but I read about eating heart 1.5 years ago and decided the next deer I get it will be cooked up. Unless nothing is left of it due to a good shot.

I eat every heart that doesn't have a hole blown through it. I'm actually a little disappointed in myself with a heart shot.

Heart fajitas are tasty. Only my youngest will eat it now. My oldest daughter would eat when when she was little but doesn't remember doing it and doesn't believe me when I remind her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Rinella did an entire show on cooking heart different ways. I have it on the dvr and I'm looking forward to the next kill.

My wife eats venison but won't try the heart. My 7 year old son devours it.

My son loves hearts of all kinds. He has eaten dove to deer and everything in between.

I have just tried the deer hearts myself and they are excellent.

Nards get thrown 30 paces to the east. Never have field dressed an intact heart. Maybe someday.:)

Why do I get the feeling that most wear knee high boots when you're around? Getting deep...... :)

Its called humor, hence the smiley face.

I took your comment as humorous.

I apologize if my light ribbing didn't come across that way. My smiley face didn't work either!!

Nads get hung on the BIL's truck antenna. That is if I get one. :(

I love heart but I was eating so much of it the last three years I'm kinda off the bandwagon. Fried shrooms and onions a couple hours after it's been beating, is the way to go

I posted a pic of these in light gravy before. But this is my plate right now. Third helping. Chicken fried venison steak.

I have no first hand knowledge, but I bet deep fried rats ass wouldn't be bad.

9d0e447e3f651a4bf2e7bba9c2df461c.jpg

Nads get hung on the BIL's truck antenna. That is if I get one. :(

Do you mean if you get a truck, if you get a BIL, or if you get an antenna?:D

I eat the heart occasionally. Always fried in strips but Similiar to what NoFo stated above I try my damnedest to blow it to pieces

Do you mean if you get a truck, if you get a BIL, or if you get an antenna?:D
I got a BIL or 2 all with trucks and antenna's. Only thing left to get is the deer with nads. :)

Has anyone tried the pickled heart? My uncle always went that route.