All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early shedding

browndog

5 year old buck +
This has to be one of the earliest dates that I have seen a buck that has completely shed its' velvet. I'm fairly certain he is a 3.5yr old.

Last edited:
Yeah that's early. Ours have been trending later over the past decade it seems. He's a really nice buck. Will you target him or give him another year?

Nice pic. I just looked thru pics last night and all still in velvet.

How well do you like that XR6?

Cool video. Got a few here in Central Wisconsin. Seems early I agree.

How well do you like that XR6?

I'm liking it. I really like the pic followed by a 10, 20 or 30sec video setting. I usually run the 10sec vid after the pic with no delay....keep the cam cranking pics and vids out:)

Have heard some chatter and saw a couple pics last week of hard horn bucks here already too, it does seem early.

That dude looks like a mule deer with the split G2's.

That's about 2 weeks early around me. Nice deer.

That's about 2 weeks early around me. Nice deer.

That is what I figured too. I was surprised to see him completely clean. Last year I had bucks still in velvet on the opening day of bow season(Sept 19)

Just check out my cams today and had a nice 8. A 2.5 year old hard horned already. The 25 also didn't have any pics of him shedding it at all. But have 10+ buck still in velvet!

Checked cams today and had one smaller (8 point) that has shed all his velvet. All the bigger bucks have seemed to disappear :(

We got pics yesterday of a 2.5 yr old shed out. I feel i usually get one every year that starts about the 26th of August... and usually still have a couple after the 10th of Sept

Sept 3-4 seems to be about peak for loosing the velvet here.

Had a 2 year old that had shed out on august 26th.

Ya I noticed when I checked some cams this weekend I had a couple hard horned. Last Wednesday was the earliest I had.

MFDC3335.JPG
MFDC3351.JPG
August 26th. One older 8 has shed. All of the 2.5 and 1.5s had not.

Here is a dandy 8 with 2 of the velvets in the background.
I am hoping to get a picture of them peeling this year because they have been so consistant at this location.

In 10 years of cameras I have 1 bucks that I got mid peel and then 7 hours later he came back perfectly clean.

Last edited: