Early planting?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
We've had a cooler/much wetter than normal growing season and the extended forecast calls for more of the same. The hurricane forecast has been revised to normal or just below the average number of named storms and we are usually impacted by a few tropical depressions each year. Our hottest month is July and driest month is August before temperature starts to fall and precipitation increases.

I always get my turnips in the ground in August but depending on weather forecast, might try to get some of the other seeding done a little early. Only once have I tried planting earlier than normal for fear of a long dry spell or insect pests and it was one of the best clover and wheat crops I've ever had. While the risk of dry weather or pests is possible (and these risks decline with every passing day) has anyone tried to get fall crops in the ground a little early in the past and what was the outcome?

I have done it and had bad luck more often than not. I have done it with good success a few times. I have done it and had ten inch tall wheat by mid october that nothing but the hogs would eat. I have had good early stands devastated by army worms. I dont like buying two tons of seed twice in a fall. No wheat or clover goes in the ground before the first of October at my place now.

Specific to my zone........DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

bill