Dream MN Property

There's probably stipulations against firearms inside the refuge.

Nice deer, but it looks liek ltos of reed canary grass to me.

I'm not impressed by the habitat.

Shed's worth 25K? Shack, 15K? And then 320 acres for $875/acre. It's priced accordingly to me, but I wouldn't own someplace which had stipulations on recreational gun use. That's something which needs to be determined prior to any serious considerations about this land. It's probably some kind of covenant on the deed? Maybe it's like a reservation though, and the private property doesn't have to abide by the rules of the preserve (outside of it's hunting restrictions)?

There's a reason it's cheap. If it was cash flowing from the tillable, they wouldn't likely be unloading it. If I had to guess, based on the pics, that dirt has been bled of it's nutrients and needs fertilizer in a bad way.

Lack of optimal habitat?

The parcel is within a bow hunting refuge. It is a good area for mature bucks as I have talked with one of the neighbors up there. Archery only, no guns at all---for deer, bear, grouse, or ducks. You can only use a bow. There are some huge bucks in the refuge the way it sounds.

That being said, this parcel has few mature trees, most of the hunting would have to be from a box blind or ground blind.

I would think the bow only would turn off the majority of MN hunters. Habitat should be good near that refuge, should have thermal cover (black spruce swamp), and there is also farmland around.

I would think the bow only would turn off the majority of MN hunters. Habitat should be good near that refuge, should have thermal cover (black spruce swamp), and there is also farmland around.

Interesting options, use guns and complain about no deer around or go bow only and see deer and good quality. If given that choice I would go be happy to go bow only.

Interesting options, use guns and complain about no deer around or go bow only and see deer and good quality. If given that choice I would go be happy to go bow only.

I would be happy to go that route as well. But many hunters, myself included would not be spending 320k on recreational only land unless they were joining up with a few other hunts. Otherwise possibly if they could live there or had it had good rental income.

And I am happy with the place that we have, so while I may complain about the DNR, you won't see me complaining much about #s of deer around. For 2014 winter was the driving factor for us and not much we can do about that other can keep working on habitat.

I would be happy to go that route as well. But many hunters, myself included would not be spending 320k on recreational only land unless they were joining up with a few other hunts. Otherwise possibly if they could live there or had it had good rental income.

And I am happy with the place that we have, so while I may complain about the DNR, you won't see me complaining much about #s of deer around. For 2014 winter was the driving factor for us and not much we can do about that other can keep working on habitat.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically. It would be my own thought with the deer being down in MN that I would flock to an area where they could not all be blasted away by firearms.

I was also trying to figure out where they are getting the 11,000 acres of habitat in a archery only refuge. The maps I looked at only showed the Gully Fen SNA which is listed as 1,610 acres. Per the DNR hunting regulations it is archery only within that SNA, but I don't find anything else about a larger refuge in the area.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01084

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically. It would be my own thought with the deer being down in MN that I would flock to an area where they could not all be blasted away by firearms.

No problem, if I was looking this place would be on my list :)

If that area is a calcareous fen, you'll have the DNR against you if you want to develop trails through the swamp. This would further explain the pricing.

I was also trying to figure out where they are getting the 11,000 acres of habitat in a archery only refuge. The maps I looked at only showed the Gully Fen SNA which is listed as 1,610 acres. Per the DNR hunting regulations it is archery only within that SNA, but I don't find anything else about a larger refuge in the area.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01084
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01084[/QUOTE]

Buy it and stand in the SNA and fire a bunch of arrows into the buildings, then lobby to shut the SNA down to all hunting. Now you have a 1,610 sanctuary next to your 320.

I wish my county was bow only. :D

How would that sit with some of the die-hards? I simply cannot imagine though how good this area would be.