All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dove field starting to show promise

Eggman

5 year old buck +
IMG_4118.JPG

Mowing started this week. Can not wait. Dove shoot, college football, cooking out, friends and family!
A good shoot on opening day sets the tone for a great fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree on all levels, Opening Dove is right up there at the top of the list of fall favorites.

Dipped in Cajun shore lunch an deep fat fried. Doesn't get any better. I always try to leave the hearts on when field dressing. Best part.

Looks like a dove magnet. When you said you mow, I read it to mean u mow down the plot. Cause otherwise I am not sure how you would find a down bird in that jungle.

I love shooting doves...and eating them....natures candy!

EJQJJis.jpg

Are they really that good?

Yes!

My two favorite ways to cook them; pop the breast, marinate in Italian dressing, wrap them in bacon with a sliced jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese...then cook them up on the grill.
Or cubed cooked in a big casserole dish of scalloped potatoes... I try to eat my weight of them cooked either way!

The 2 meals I look forward to the most every year.

The first back strap steaks of the season the day after a bow kill,
&
The first batch of hot doves out of the fryer on opening day

that sounds like fun. I might have to give dove hunting a try this year since I'll be at my property on dove opener and there's a section of my field that was too wet to plant this spring and it should be full of weeds. Is it generally best to mow areas like that and just wait until they fly in to feed there? Is mowing the field always best or should some of the weedy field be left tall?

I typically see doves along the field edge in this area anyway, so I bet mowing part of a big weedy field will help draw them in.

Dove are the filet mignon of the sky in east texas

bill

that sounds like fun. I might have to give dove hunting a try this year since I'll be at my property on dove opener and there's a section of my field that was too wet to plant this spring and it should be full of weeds. Is it generally best to mow areas like that and just wait until they fly in to feed there? Is mowing the field always best or should some of the weedy field be left tall?

I typically see doves along the field edge in this area anyway, so I bet mowing part of a big weedy field will help draw them in.

I would mow it in strips, with the widest strips the mowed portions. This helps knock the weed seed down to ground level where the doves can easily feed on it. While also insuring that you are able to locate your downed birds. In tall stuff, these little buggers r hard to find if you don't have a dog and the action is fast.

I would mow it in strips, with the widest strips the mowed portions. This helps knock the weed seed down to ground level where the doves can easily feed on it. While also insuring that you are able to locate your downed birds. In tall stuff, these little buggers r hard to find if you don't have a dog and the action is fast.
Thanks for the advice, I'll mow it in strips and see what comes in. There are a bunch of barn pigeons in the neighborhood that use my fields as well, so maybe I'll get lucky with a mixed bag.

I'll breast out a pigeon in a second...they eat the same things doves do and there's more meat on them. ^^^^^^^^

I agree on the pigeons - if I shoot one it will end up on my plate. I'm pretty excited about the dove/ pigeon hunt.

I've had dove and goose hunts turn into pigeon shoots, they decoy in just like ducks. The Europeans sell them in restaurants as squab.

grVS5uv.jpg

How do you fix the dove hearts? I have done deer heart, but that is a relatively big piece of meat compared to a dove heart. Really curious how you cook it.

All I do, is when im field dressing the birds. When ur popping the breast out, don't rip it clean away, look for the heart. Pinch the heart against the back of the breastplate, then rip away.

Doesn't work every time, but I get about 70%.The hearts are not cooked separately from the breast they just hang on the back side. After that I just dip em in Cajun shore lunch an deep fry.

Cook to Medium.

10 days an counting to the opener.

I hunted doves once here in MN. We shot about 45 of them in an hour. It was great fun and they were absolutely fantastic eating!

Had a buddy of mine mow my sunflowers this weekend. I cannot wait for Friday. Took the afternoon off so the fun can start early. It's the most social and therefore arguably the most enjoyable hunting out there. I can taste the dove breasts now.....

57d942fb12cf9eabccfd04ce84052ee6.jpg

6efff8870b8036e285b6ab888cccdacf.jpg

014a9b697644603530708305065995ec.jpg

10156ba2422b178897b0d050b0127cbb.jpg

2b9b6e86c22a050029dcfb5eba054c0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is going to be a fun time G squared!

That is going to be a fun time G squared!

If the hunting isn't any good, we'll at least have fun after the fact. The locals up near the property know their way around a cold beer and a game of bags. :emoji_grin: