All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Douglas Wormless apple

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Has anyone planted this apple? St. Lawrence nursery sells it. Descripted as medium to large very good sweet eating apple. Keeps well. Resistant to tent caterpillars and scab. As close to no-spray as it gets. Very hardy. Mid season. Sure sounds interesting.

If I wasn't over my "apple budget" for this year (don't tell the wife :oops:) I'd try one. :D

Yet folks buy bottles of booze that have worms in them. :)

I read research on some of the disease resistant PRI apples with regard to various insects. I believe the initial results did not replicate in other settings. Just like protecting stuff from deer, I am sure it depends somewhat on what is planted next to it.

Yet folks buy bottles of booze that have worms in them. :)
I don't recall buying any bottles with worms in them. I wake up in the morning and the empty bottle is there..I don't recall any worm..honest.

So educate me... this program was good old fashioned genetics- taking resistent and favorable trait specimens and crossing them and recrossing them to increase resistence to scab and other diseases as well as traits to make them more resistent to pests??

Keystone, if you are asking whether PRI bred apples for pest resistance, the answer is no. PRI was focused on scab resistance. Beyond scab, their releases may be resistant or susceptible to fireblight, rusts, mildew, etc. What I referred to was screening of many of their selections for different apple pests.

"Goonewardene and Williams (1988) identified Co-op 17 as the most resistant of 360 PRI selections screened for different insect pests including apple maggot, Rhagoletis pomonella (Walsh), plum curculio Conotrachelus nenuphar (Herbst), and the redbanded leafroller Argyrotaenia velutinana (Walker) (15)." https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/breeding.html

and

"Goonewardene et al. (1998; Goonewardene and Williams 1988) screened progenies, accessions, and scab-resistant selections of Malus and found several selections and progenies with multiple pen and disease tolerance or resistance from observations in the field, laboratory, and greenhouse. The arthopods investigated included apple maggot, Rhagoletis pomonella (Walsh); codling moth, Laspyresia pomonella (L.); European red mite, Panonychus ulmi (Koch.); plum curculio, Conotrachelus nenuplar (Herbst); and redbanded leafroller, Argyrotaenia velutinana (Walker). Insect resistance was typically compared by the results of differential feeding on 'June-drop' apples as compared to a control. Seven apple selections (E11-24, E14-32, E36-7, D7-47, E7-54, E29-56, and E31-10) have been released as advanced germplasm lines with multiple resistance to pests and diseases (Goonewardene 1987; Goonewardene and Howard 1989) and are presently under evaluation." https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/chapter.pdf

Many selections that Goonewardene identified as having pest resistance are available through the USDA GRIN.
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/cooperator.aspx?id=68356

The only really good example of pest resistance I am aware of is for woolly apple aphids. Northern Spy was resistant and was used to breed that resistance into MM106 and MM111 rootstocks. Malus Robusta was used to give resistance to most of the Geneva apple rootstocks.

Last edited:
learned something, thanks for taking the time!

If I wasn't over my "apple budget" for this year (don't tell the wife :oops:) I'd try one. :D
Did you convince your wife to let you get it? I too have be come obsessed with this apple. Maybe we can partner on it and split the costs. You can send me scions so I can establish my own. I just don't have the room for a full sized tree.