Dormant trees submerged

andrew

5 year old buck +
Does it hurt trees to be submerged when they are dormant?

Depends on the species, can you give us a bit more information please.

I have a pasture that is a wetter soil, so I planted Hackberry, Acer Redrum maple, SWO, Pin oak and River Birch all trees that supposedly do good in wet soil. There is a small creek that runs through the pasture and with our winter weather an ice jam has formed downstream, so the water has risen and a few of my trees are currently froze in the ice. Im just curious when it thaws this spring if these trees will be affected. I also have a few black hills spruce and serviceberry froze in.

I am thinking you could have some die off, sorry. Some of the SWO and pin oak might be fine?? Hard to say.

From my personal experience if the ground was froze around the trees before they became flooded and the water recedes before the frost goes out of the ground then in my experience the trees will be fine. I dont have experience with all the varieties you have listed though.

Floodplain trees like the first ones you mentioned shouldn't have a problem. If any have a problem, the spruce would. If it floods often, I'd probably went with norway over black hills

If it is wet ground, black spruce will outsurvive any other spruce you could plant.