do tree tubes protect against beavers?

Persimman

5 year old buck +
The beavers are back at one of my hunting spots. I have a variety of tubed trees planted the past couple years. chestnut, oak, fruit, persimmon. Should I put wire fence outside the tube? Not only is that more work, but if I die before getting back there, the wire will girdle the tree. It seems to me that a Photosynth tree tube is no match for beaver teeth. But some shorter tree tubes are sold specifically as beaver protection.

Anybody ever have their tree tubes destroyed by beavers?

I've used chicken wire to discourage beavers. I just wrapped it around without having the two ends tied together.

You have 2 options,learn how to trap beavers or just fasten wire with tie wraps that will break but if you leave 6 inches around tree that will take years

Beavers...the very bane of my existence. I've no experience with beavers and tree tubes so can't answer that one. My goal has become keeping my property beaverless...with miles of creeks/canals through my farm there's simply no way I could protect all the timber.

Another option to consider that I've applied with really good success is cut their dams, secure a section of perforated pipe, and let them repair the dam on top of the pipe. The dam is rendered ineffective, no water is backed up (which they desire for safety), and they move on.

Last edited:
I have beaver and tree tubes. They haven't bothered with any of the tubed trees yet. But there is also plenty of willow around for them.