Disease or Bugs?

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
This happened immediately as soon as leaves started this spring. A couple pear trees started with little black spots on the leaves with pinholes in center, they are kind of growing out of it but don't look real healthy. A Keiffer and a Seckle.

Any ideas?

Ipz4ZCB.jpg

JHH7Jq6.jpg

pSSjyIF.jpg

The worst case of pear scab ever or insect damage, leaning towards insect damage.

It's strange because I have twenty something other pear trees that are perfectly fine, Keiffer and Seckle too. These seemed to leaf out with this right off the bat a month ago, I should have gotten a pic at the start when they were black spotted more.

If insects are bothering these two trees, while leaving others of the same variety alone, these trees are unhealthy. There is some kind of nutrient imbalance. My first guess would be low calcium, which makes the leaf cell walls weaker, so it's easier for the insect to eat.

You can make your own calcium foliar spray, which will work much quicker than amending the soil. Boil 20 eggs in a pan with 1 gallon of water. Once you get a rolling boil. Remove from heat and let the water sit for 24 hours. Then spray it on the leaves.

Looks like chafer beetle damage to me. Sevin or Imidan to kill them. Chafers overwinter in sandy soil as larva, pupate into winged beetles (black, green or brown/green) fly up, mate eat leaves and lay eggs. As larva (grubs) they eat tender roots.
Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Looks like chafer beetle damage to me. Sevin or Imidan to kill them. Chafers overwinter in sandy soil as larva, pupate into winged beetles (black, green or brown/green) fly up, mate eat leaves and lay eggs. As larva (grubs) they eat tender roots.
Terminate with extreme prejudice.

I dusted good with Seven today to see if that will help, ground at base too.
The dirt they are planted in is very loamy with a little clay on an old homestead site.