All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diakon Radish

Terry Colin

Yearling... With promise
How early can I plant Diakon Radish's?

Here in MI I throw some in my sorghum mix which I spring plant and yes some do bolt. For my fall brassica mix I plant them mid July.

It would be a great idea to add your location to your profile so folks can answer questions like this. In my area, zone 7b, brassica is not a great summer crop. Deer seem to prefer it as a fall crop. Here, planting in early to mid-August will yield larger tubers but you can plant it well into September and get good forage.

Thanks,

Jack

Down hear in S.E. Louisiana I included them in my wheat/oats/clover mix last September using a Spray, Throw & Roll method. They germinated well and the deer hammered them more than the wheat and oats. Of interest, they didn't seem to touch them until they got to be eight to ten inches tall. Then they would nip off most of the leaves. The radishes would recover growth but none survived beyond the second de-leafing. They were all gone by early December.

I've never done a Spring or Summer planting, but will be putting a small 10'x10' test spot in one of my clover plots next week just for kicks.

Radishes are a GREAT addition to fall brassica plantings. A great mix is PTT, Rape and radishes. I've never tried a spring planting since spring green up normally brings so much food, my plots are normally left alone, even my clover has a chance to recover from the winter eat down.

There is a guy up here in Minnesota that plants them every 28 days. From my understanding he does this the entire growing season.

The deer in my area, love the greens on them about a week after I apply the needed Nitrogen to the plot. The deer will at times take 24 inch greens, and knock to the ground and kill the plot. Other times they just stunt them considerably. Last year I doubled the area I planted them, and it lightened the load enough for me to get some decent size bulbs and tubers, but we had early deep snow, and the deer left my area and never touched them all winter. This spring I am getting a few pictures, but that is probably because of the winter rye planted last fall in the plot. This year I am not planting them, and going with something else.

You can plant them as soon as the ground is thawed and the soil is warm enough to allow for the seed to germinate. Most will say that the deer don't like them until they get a hard frost on them. Some will say the deer will eat them essentially as soon as they germinate. Some (like me) will tell you the deer may not like them at all. The use of them and how soon and what parts and when seems to be very regional in nature. Some areas it seems the deer need to learn what they are, while other areas the deer have been exposed to them and take to them fairly well, while others (like me) see very little use of them by deer (my theory is that with all the corn and soybeans around the these simply are not high on the preference list). They can/will become mushy and worthless to deer after they have matured. This is why many folks in cooler climates plant them in mid to late summer and then use the more regular rain fall of the fall weather to get them to grow.....and thus feed the deer in the fall and winter months. You can however plant anytime during your growing season.....just remember when they will reach that maturity and trying to time that with when they will serve your purposes best. I am not familiar with their use in warmer climates..... I am sure some others here will be able to shed some light on that.

Without knowing where you are located/plotting it makes it difficult for us to tailor our advise to your general situation.....instead we have to try to cover all the bases or be very vague..... not because we want to, but because we don't want to lead you astray. You can either tell us a general area or even update your profile info and we can be more specific and you may even find someone very near your area. You don't have to.....its just a suggestion.

You can plant them as soon as the ground is thawed and the soil is warm enough to allow for the seed to germinate. Most will say that the deer don't like them until they get a hard frost on them. Some will say the deer will eat them essentially as soon as they germinate. Some (like me) will tell you the deer may not like them at all. The use of them and how soon and what parts and when seems to be very regional in nature. Some areas it seems the deer need to learn what they are, while other areas the deer have been exposed to them and take to them fairly well, while others (like me) see very little use of them by deer (my theory is that with all the corn and soybeans around the these simply are not high on the preference list). They can/will become mushy and worthless to deer after they have matured. This is why many folks in cooler climates plant them in mid to late summer and then use the more regular rain fall of the fall weather to get them to grow.....and thus feed the deer in the fall and winter months. You can however plant anytime during your growing season.....just remember when they will reach that maturity and trying to time that with when they will serve your purposes best. I am not familiar with their use in warmer climates..... I am sure some others here will be able to shed some light on that.

Without knowing where you are located/plotting it makes it difficult for us to tailor our advise to your general situation.....instead we have to try to cover all the bases or be very vague..... not because we want to, but because we don't want to lead you astray. You can either tell us a general area or even update your profile info and we can be more specific and you may even find someone very near your area. You don't have to.....its just a suggestion.

I've said it a hundred times...
Showing some sort of location should be mandatory for posting threads. It's just common sense.

What works well in iowa may not( and often does not) work well in texas due to regional differences in weather,temp,rain,soil,etc.

Find the "five year old bucks" here in your region and learn from them.... i learned a lot from mine

bill

Here in MI I throw some in my sorghum mix which I spring plant and yes some do bolt. For my fall brassica mix I plant them mid July.

Same here. In Upper Michigan if I want any growth on them at all I need to plant them by mid-July. I used to mix them in with the fall cereal grain mix ala Doubletree but they never amounted to much other than small green tops which were quickly devoured. Consequently, I don't include them in my fall mix at all.

Here is what they look like if you plant them early enough in the U.P. and I know they grow even bigger in other parts of the country:

DSC03190.jpg

We've planted them in a mix with PTT, DER, Pasja forage brassica. We plant them 1st week of August in northern Pa., and will again this year. We got big bulbs and lots of deer use into the winter. But they ignored them the first year we planted them. Now the deer know what they are and visit constantly. They even ate the bulbs in winter.

Sorry Fellows I was in a hurry and I forgot to mention my location. I'll be planting them in South East Ohio. Thanks for all the info so far.
Terry

Last edited:

I plant them mid July in a brassica mix.
They are about the very last thing the deer hit at my places after they have ate up the chicory, sugar beets, turnips and clovers.

N6bsTK6.jpg

What doesn't get eaten will stink with a rotten odor in the spring. But they make nice holes in the ground when they rot - lime and fertilizer get down into the soil deeper.

At least your deer eventually eat some of them...my deer won't touch'em. Other than benefitting the soil my radish planting days are about over.

At least your deer eventually eat some of them...my deer won't touch'em. Other than benefitting the soil my radish planting days are about over.

I'd take that as good news. If you are planting GHR in the fall and deer aren't touching the tops, they have found a better food source at that time.

Thanks,

Jack