Deer love sugar beets

I had a quarter acre plot of sugar beets and the deer eradicated them by Thanksgiving. There was nothing left of them. They looked great when I overseeded rye into the soybeans near them in Sept. I'm going to try a half acre of them this year on what was soybeans this year.

Just got the call, Ed's getting his sugar beets tomorrow. Order early if you want them, he runs out.
PM me if you want the phone number. I'm not putting it on the net.

just FYI to everyone banking on Ed for RR Beets, his daughter called me back last night and said he's 84 and has had enough. He's not selling them for 2019

just FYI to everyone banking on Ed for RR Beets, his daughter called me back last night and said he's 84 and has had enough. He's not selling them for 2019

That is to bad. I was going to take the plunge this year. Maybe someone here could talk to Ed and find out how they could take over the black market seed program? I would be a customer!

That is to bad. I was going to take the plunge this year. Maybe someone here could talk to Ed and find out how they could take over the black market seed program? I would be a customer!

The seedy underbelly of the black market beet world...

get it? Seedy?

He swore it was legal. I wasn’t going to argue with my elder :)
But I also never put his full name and # out in the open just in case he was wrong......

Lots of guys are going to be disappointed this spring.

I never even got to buy them from him...And I'm disappointed

Planted some this year and they were all dug out by december.
As expected, they hammered them once things got cold.
Got mine from a guy who works for a beet farmer in the valley. Luckily the high price for seed gets overlooked when people get hands on leftover seed. Deer don't complain, and neither will I!
ONly thing is, I had a really bad ragweed and waterhemp issue, and gly wouldn't touch it. Beets still turned out good, but now i've got a weed issue to combat!

ONly thing is, I had a really bad ragweed and waterhemp issue, and gly wouldn't touch it. Beets still turned out good, but now i've got a weed issue to combat!

I hear you there. I hand weeded my small plot as well as where I'm planting them this year as the herbicide I use for those weeds has residual and won't allow the beets to grow the following year.

I'm late to the party on this topic, let's say the farmer leasing my land actually wanted to grow RR beets. Legitimately... where can he go?? He just cash crops starting this year so it's a plausible possibility if not to complicated

Look up Genuity round up ready sugar beets. That’s just one.

I live in NJ and there are a number of farmers in south Jersey that grow sugar beets. The farmer I buy them from told me he grows them in rows and uses a carrot picker to harvest them. I can’t think of a better food for deer. I put out about 10 bins of beets 900 to 950 lbs a bin on my farm in Ohio during the month of November besides about 10 acres of food plots and the deer will eat every one in four weeks BFD8AE44-80EA-44EF-B1A6-0CD47015D8BD.jpeg

We had rain in the forecast so I planted my first sugar beet plot of the year last night. About a 1/2 acre. As predicted we got the rain!!!! We put in a permanent ground blind last fall. It is about a 100 yrds. to the front of the plot. Unfortunately, tubers usually don't get touched until the second week of Feb. for us. This plot will be over seeded in a annual rye grass of some sort (experimenting, my uncle moved home from OK and said down there the deer would walk through WW to get to rye grass) and crimson clover come late August early September depending on the forecast.

Gonna try to get 1/2 an acre in today. Also need to plant my conceal strips... There's not enough time in the day.

also, spoke with my buddy at Merit Seed in Ohio. He can recreate the package and mix content of Conceal from Whitetail Institute for under $3 a pound. If any of you guys are interested, call john wengerd there... Just a heads up.

Im planning on disking and broadcasting 1/2 acre of sugar beets as soon as things dry out here in MN. What rate would you use when broadcasting?

Im planning on disking and broadcasting 1/2 acre of sugar beets as soon as things dry out here in MN. What rate would you use when broadcasting?

I drill RR sugar beet seed at 50,000 seeds/acre (2.0-2.5#). So divide that by 2 for a 1/2 acre and then increase the rate some for broadcasting - maybe 10%-20% more. Try not to cover them too deep. 1/2" - 3/4" is plenty deep.

I got my 1/2 acre of RR beets in yesterday. Really excited to see what they'll do.

I was scared broadcasting them as I only had a pound and they didn't even cover the bottom of my broadcaster bag... But I went light and made a couple passes. Cultipacked them in and even got rain last night.

One of my sugar beet plots is quite thin. I went out on a limb the other day and ordered a "trial quantity" from WI. One of the seed bags is "Winter Greens" My plan is to over seed the this stand of beets in early to mid August when rain is in the forecast. I'm hoping the beets put on some good growth by then as to not being out competed.

Has anyone planted that blend?

What was your take on it?

I also sprayed my earlier planted plot for the second time this year. It is looking pretty darn good but I had a healthy supply of RRPW seed from last years bean plot that I didnt spray. The first application of gly knocked it out but now there is a second batch of plants coming on strong. The plants are less than 2" tall and I mixed really rich on the Gly. I'm hoping that will be the last application of spray but I have my doubts.