Curly dock

Rubee

5 year old buck +
Three weeks ago I disced down my plot of buckwheat and broadcast cereal rye , wheat and ladino clover. Checked it a few days ago and everything has germinated and the grain is up six inches or so with the clover sprouting underneath. There is quite a bit of curly dock growing too. I'm not sure what steps if any to take to eliminate the dock. What do you advise. Thanks

Last edited:
Can you spot spray?

Spot spraying is probably the best option but with what herbicide? Would Glysophate do the job?

This spring I had a breakout of curly dock in my clover/chickory patch. I purchased some IMOX from keystone along with the Nitrosurf. I sprayed it and I could see it had stopped growing but was not dieing. However, The curly dock has a root that is very similar to a large carrot. It seemed to continue to use the food stores within its large root and someone else told me that may also occur. So I sprayed multiple times over a month or two. It took several applications but it finally died.

FWIW, there are thousands of seeds on each stalk and they seemed to remain viable/developing for a couple weeks until it was really brown and dead. I could see the seeds developing even though the leaves were browning up. Again, maybe using the food stored in the root, not sure. So you may wish to consider not letting those seeds get into your patch. Being September, those seeds are just about ready to release. You may want to get those off the stalk ASAP.

After spraying and waiting 2 weeks I tried to pull a couple stalks. They were not giving up the ghost. I broke one off at the top of the root. So if you pull, get the entire root or just keep hitting the tops with IMOX. It seemed that 25mL of imox per 4 gal worked good for me. That's slightly stronger than recommended but it seemed to have a better effect than the recommended 4.5mL (I think ??) per gallon. I do NOT know if IMOX will kill the buckwheat, rye, and wheat,...possibly, not sure. Call them and ask. Zero visible effect on clover and as a side benefit it kills grass very well.

Last edited:
The problem with IMOX(aka Raptor) is that weeds must be young and ounces per year is restricted. Multiple applications per year is not allowed according to my Raptor label.

I have my fair share of curly dock and I've had decent luck spot spraying with Clopyralid3 (also good for canada thistle all the way up to bud stage). But C3 will kill a lot of desirable broadleaf like clover so I'm very careful when I spot spray and I always use dye in my spray mix.
There are lots of herbicides on the market. I assume some others will also work on dock. 2,4D maybe?? IDK.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The problem with IMOX(aka Raptor) is that weeds must be young and ounces per year is restricted. Multiple applications per year is not allowed according to my Raptor label.

Very interesting. I am not well trained here but the IMOX label says do not apply more than 1 gallon per acre per year. At 25mL per a 4 gallon backpack sprayer application it would take 9 applications to apply just under 8oz (almost a cup) of IMOX,...or about 1/15th of a gallon. That's not anywhere close to the limit.
The IMOX label also says do not exceed 2 applications per year. Something to consider going forward. No idea why the labels are different given the same AI.

additional info:
Imox has a very favorable environmental profile, and is classified as practically nontoxic to birds, fish, algae and aquatic invertebrates. It’s the only herbicide on the market that has been granted a tolerance exemption by the EPA, which means there are no food residue limits for Imox in fish, shellfish, crustaceans or irrigated crops.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I have some 24d and will spot spray and see how it goes.

Very interesting. I am not well trained here but the IMOX label says do not apply more than 1 gallon per acre per year. At 25mL per a 4 gallon backpack sprayer application it would take 9 applications to apply just under 8oz (almost a cup) of IMOX,...or about 1/15th of a gallon. That's not anywhere close to the limit.
The IMOX label also says do not exceed 2 applications per year. Something to consider going forward. No idea why the labels are different given the same AI.

additional info:
Imox has a very favorable environmental profile, and is classified as practically nontoxic to birds, fish, algae and aquatic invertebrates. It’s the only herbicide on the market that has been granted a tolerance exemption by the EPA, which means there are no food residue limits for Imox in fish, shellfish, crustaceans or irrigated crops.

There's a lot of confusing info on herbicide labels. I've always stuck to the "twice a year" restriction and mixed to oz per acre, or oz per 1,000 sq ft rate...usually around 6 oz per acre. That's for Raptor which is the same active ingredient as IMOX, but I'm not sure the 2 "brands" are the same strength right out of the bottle, so that could effect the oz-per-acre, or oz-per-year mixture rate. IMOX may need more chemical per acre than Raptor, IDK (I thought I read that on an IMOX label one time, which makes IMOX not quite as cheap as people think....still cheaper than Raptor, though). Regardless of the mix rate, I assume that neither should be applied more than twice a year...according to the manufacturer.

As far as herbicides being safe for aquatic creatures...I could be wrong, but I believe it's the surfactant in herbicides that are harmful to water critters. Using IMOX, (aka Raptor, Clearcast, Beyond) for pond applications, requires no surfactant. But using the chemical for terrestrial applications does require surfactant to be added. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct on that.

Thanks for the help. I have some 24d and will spot spray and see how it goes.
I highly recommend adding dye to your mix for spot spraying. You'll miss less weeds and you'll also not double spray as much which saves chemical and $$$.

A couple of weeks ago before I mowed my WR, I spent a few days collecting seed heads from the three most prevalent weeds..dock..mostly curly some yellow, thistle and Mullen. I pulled some broke and clipped the rest...walked with a 55gal barrel till filled and than burnt by my water hole...I just could not see mowing and spreading all that seed...I burned millions!!

Reactions: Tap
Photo didn't attach

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_191554914_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180826_191554914_HDR.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 12
A couple of weeks ago before I mowed my WR, I spent a few days collecting seed heads from the three most prevalent weeds..dock..mostly curly some yellow, thistle and Mullen. I pulled some broke and clipped the rest...walked with a 55gal barrel till filled and than burnt by my water hole...I just could not see mowing and spreading all that seed...I burned millions!!
Something that I always threaten to do, but haven't done...yet, is do some rag doll tests on weed seeds to determine when they become viable. It could help figure out if there is still time, or too late to mow.
I don't know if germ test applies to the seeds of all weeds though. Maybe some need to go thru a freeze/thaw cycle to becomes viable?? Kind of like chestnuts?? IDK.

Three weeks ago I disced down my plot of buckwheat and broadcast cereal rye , wheat and ladino clover. Checked it a few days ago and everything has germinated and the grain is up six inches or so with the clover sprouting underneath. There is quite a bit of curly dock growing too. I'm not sure what steps if any to take to eliminate the dock. What do you advise. Thanks

I don't know, longitudinally (north - south) where you are. For me, weed control is somewhat dependent on it for frost is going to bring the dock to it's knees. I know it's a perennial, but maybe next spring is the right time to think about its control.

There's a conversation above about raptor / imox. Let's see if I can do this in less than 10 sentences. IMOX in its generic form I just found this spring. I too was confused by the label. Much different than Raptor, but it's the same active ingredient and concentrate percentage. I spent some time in the herbicide business and here's my take on the situation. Raptor and it's cousin, Clearcast (I'm working without a net. Call me out if I have the names wrong) have very specific labels. Raptor is for specific field crops. Clearcast is for aquatic use. Price difference is crazy. So, to get a generic label (this is just my story and I'm sticking to it) this company in Alabama (right? It's name escapes me). Got a label registered for IMOX as a complete vegetation control product for use in industrial sites, etc, etc. That' s why the application rates are so much different. Read above.

Now, I believe the IMOX folks who got the industrial label realize nobody is going to use IMOX to do total vegetation control. Hint, hint.

On another board someone asked about late season weed control in clover. I had some that was going to get choked by smart weed. So, I got some IMOX and used a ridiculous rate on very think, very mature smart weed. The weeds are dead and the clover is beautiful!

I think I exceed my ten sentence limit.