All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CRYPTOMERIA

williams111

5 year old buck +
I understand it's not "native," but didn't know where else to post it. I was browsing The Wildlife Group 2021-2022 (not sure how I got the old version) catalog and ran across CRYPTOMERIA Japanese Cedar, their description is below;
CRYPTOMERIA(Japanese Cedar) USDA Zones 5-9Cryptomeria is fast-growing disease-free evergreen used for screening and borders. Grows 3-4 ft’ a year reaching 20 plus ft in six years. Adaptable to varying soils and environments.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, and nothing showed up in a search. Has anyone planted it?

I believe it is also called a Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Those I’ve planted in my yard. They grow like crazy and would make a very good screen.

One word of caution in areas with warmer winters is pine bark Beatles. Yoshino’s are susceptible. I had to cut every last one of mine down.

I also have Thuja giant arborvitae's in my yard. They grow fast and the pine bark Beatles have not affected them yet. But I do have to spray every other July for bag worms. It's always something.

I believe it is also called a Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Those I’ve planted in my yard. They grow like crazy and would make a very good screen.

One word of caution in areas with warmer winters is pine bark Beatles. Yoshino’s are susceptible. I had to cut every last one of mine down.
Good to know, I have seen the affects of the beetles out west in the mountains. Seems like a good reason to steer clear of the Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Thanks!