All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crossbow windows

OakSeeds

5 year old buck +
Designing a new shooter house to accommodate crossbow hunters; some want to hunt the early bow season with powerful, accurate weapon. I assume horizontal windows best, but what do I know?
What do you find to be best size and shape (length/width and height of opening) for safety and comfortable, accurate shooting. Would greatly appreciate all suggestions. What's good, bad, or dangerous. I gots no experience

Horizontal is best. I also like to not have the crossbow resting, or close to the window so the arms don’t have a chance at hitting the sides. I have seen some with an actual articulating arm the cross bow mounts to, and you can just slide the crossbow and arm from window to window. I don’t have that.

^^^^ I prefer horizontal windows also. The windows I put in my homemade stands are Deerview Windows. Lots of sizes and styles.

Horizontal windows minimum of 24" wide. 36" probably better. Have a stand a friend hunts out of with a crossbow on occasion.

That stand was built more with gun hunting in mind and has smaller 16" x 12" high windows on a few sides. Trying to save a few $$.

Well you can shoot a crossbow if you stick it out far enough but once the limbs move out during shooting can't bring it back into the blind! Buddy had to tie a rope to it and lower it to ground.