Crazy hunting story

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
This year my dad was hunting mid-week during the rifle season. He heard a shot over at the neighbors early in the morning but ended up coming in for breakfast. On his way in he crossed a big track and saw a small amount of blood. He tracked the buck for a couple hundred yards and saw no other blood so he did not push it. He decided to let the deer lay and wait until I showed up to keep tracking it in hopes we would bump him into each other.

I went to go set up in a stand while he picked the trail back up. Well, on my way in I found a bunch of blood and followed it down our fence line. (We have an 8 ft fence on our south line. It was installed a decade ago when there was a threat to put in a paved road on the edge of our property. We said screw that and installed the fence. the Road never went in) When I came to the gate in our fence I found it in shambles. Well, we happened to have a camera set up at that specific location and got a picture of the buck that was hit and pushed through the gate. He ran at least another 1/2 mile south to the state park.

That night another buck came in the open fence. My dad shot the buck that came through the open gate 2 days later.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    586.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2082 (1).JPG
    IMG_2082 (1).JPG
    407 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 96
Not your typical hunting story, but a good end anyway. Nice buck.

Id leave that gate open and set up a stand near it. Instant funnel.

I agree with Bill to leave the gate open or make a part of the fence low enough for deer to jump. You could also over lap and offset a piece of the fence. Kind of a chute for the deer to enter. I have a neighbor who keeps a wooden snow fence on one of my property lines. I have an agreement with her to leave the fence open is certain sections for about 3-5 feet for a period of the year to allow the deer easy access to my property. The deer will definitely find and use such fence openings. I have seen this at my farm for sure.

I've often thought some snow fencing in the right spots would be more effective and last longer than hinging a bunch of trees. But it just doesn't look right in the woods.

I've often thought some snow fencing in the right spots would be more effective and last longer than hinging a bunch of trees. But it just doesn't look right in the woods.

Sometimes there just aren't enough trees to be able to build a good blockade. I'm not to proud to use it, but I agree it's not the most appealing thing to look at.

index.php

Well in my case, the snow fence was already on the property line when I bought the property. I planted 4 to 5 rows of red pines in front of the fence so that it is barely visible at this point in time. Why the neighbor wants to keep it up is beyond me, but that is another subject. I could have spent money on lawyers to try and get her to take the snow fence down. Rather, I used it to my advantage and she has honored her agreement with me every year by leaving the gaps in the fence when they are supposed to be there. During the winter she can close the gaps to keep the snow from getting onto her easement over my land. This easement was also in place when I bought the property.
There is a 40 acre alfalfa and corn field on the other side of the snow fence. The deer coming from this direction have found and use the openings in the snow fence. Deer simply take the path of least resistance.

I did leave the gate open in the past but it creates a better funnel for the neighbors than it does for us. Having it closed for 3/4 of a mile routes the deer safely to our place on the east side. Hunting the fence post is not much different from hunting the open gate. The deer are smart though, they rarely pass through the gate or around the fence during daylight. It is not as much of a benefit as you would think.

The wounded buck sure wanted out....congrats to your Dad on his!