All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

It looks like a good one to add to a wildlife or maybe cider planting. Gotta believe deer would be drawn to them.
You guys in Minn. & Wisc. sure seem to have a batch of wild crabs scattered all around that territory. We have scarce, abandoned regular apple trees, but not crabs it seems.

On one of our properties whenever I do some tsi work crabs start popping up from the extra sunlight. I am to the point now where I cut down the old crabapple trees to create more space for the younger ones.

It looks like a good one to add to a wildlife or maybe cider planting. Gotta believe deer would be drawn to them.
You guys in Minn. & Wisc. sure seem to have a batch of wild crabs scattered all around that territory. We have scarce, abandoned regular apple trees, but not crabs it seems.

I find about 15 -20 wild crabs to every wild apple over 2 inches in diameter that I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandbur - How fast do your crab seeds grow when you plant them ?? What amount of growth do you typically see in a year after the seeds break the ground in a pot - or if they are field planted ??

Sandbur - How fast do your crab seeds grow when you plant them ?? What amount of growth do you typically see in a year after the seeds break the ground in a pot - or if they are field planted ??

I can get you a picture from trees in my garden. I would say two feet or more. When I started seeds in the house in late winter, some would get well past 30 or 36 inches.

Plant 5-10 seeds and then thin to the fastest three growers. Wait a week or two and thin to the single fastest grower. Sometimes I might select for a red stem or redder leaved variety hoping for redder cider. You can make choices while thinning.

4ce591be2bc1df743c71cc10294b099b.jpg

I would say two feet and the deer nibbles on these once.
When I brought frozen pots of seeds into the house in late winter and eventually transferred to root growers, I think I had one tree out of 50 or so reach 36 or 38 inches.

I prune them back when planting anyway.

I found one Firecracker hanging on the tree and we have had multiple frosts. It was probably the best tasting Firecracker I have tasted.

I have also been eating a few Wicksons from the tree. They have a unique flavor at this point. For some reason it reminds me of Frostbite. Apples look totally different, though.

I'll bet those Wicksons are super ripe...getting soft yet?

I'll bet those Wicksons are super ripe...getting soft yet?

Not at all. Surprised me.

Really looking forward to growing Kerr. Somewhat hard to find scion / whips. Only One Green World sells them <-- that's the only place I could find.

Pete - Kerr has grown really well for us. It's a later apple / crab that we've had no problem with. Beside the wildlife benefit, it's a good eater.

Walden Heights Nursery usually handles Kerr, but they're out of stock until next spring. They've had Kerr for several years now.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to growing Kerr. Somewhat hard to find scion / whips. Only One Green World sells them QUOTE]

I could probably get a piece or two of scion for you.

I picked my wicksons this week. A few had dropped, some pulled loose easily, and some were well attached. That sounds like a good deer crab with a longer drop time.
50a43e13cb148cb393936fecd50d62cd.jpg

I picked my wicksons this week. A few had dropped, some pulled loose easily, and some were well attached. That sounds like a good deer crab with a longer drop time.

How do they taste??

How do they taste??

Ok. So far, chestnut, even centennial and Trailman beat them.

I was a bit disappointed in taste.

^^^^ I always heard Wicksons were a big flavor explosion. Maybe next year we'll have some to try at camp. Even if the flavor isn't great for people, it should be a good deer crab though. Thanks, Bur, for the info about it's varied readiness to drop. That's a good characteristic for deer & other critters.

^^^^ I always heard Wicksons were a big flavor explosion. Maybe next year we'll have some to try at camp. Even if the flavor isn't great for people, it should be a good deer crab though. Thanks, Bur, for the info about it's varied readiness to drop. That's a good characteristic for deer & other critters.

Each apple seems to have a specific time at which they taste best for our taste buds.
I had been eating Kerr, then Liberty, and might have waited too long on Wickson. They were still well attached, so I ate other apples.

For apples for deer on Nov . 1, my choices would now be Kerr, wickson, and the rootstock crab which is probably Columbia.
My neighbor also has a loaded apple crab growing in the ditch. TC might still have these last two varieties.

^^^^ Is that Yellow Dog you speak of at TC's ??

^^^^ Is that Yellow Dog you speak of at TC's ??

Yes for later. Also see if he has Big Dog and Guard Dog. Guard Dog is edible. The others are better for deer.

^^^^ Thanks Bur.