Crabapple timeline

Here is the tree next to it.
67966876bad134bdf78832f99dc14015.jpg

I will need to check labels but I think is a topwork of Big Dog(Garden Crab) on dolgo seedling.

I am leaving this location alone until firearm season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say just bigger than a large cherry.
Just got some scion of this from someone on this forum this year, looking forward to it fruiting. Looks like a nice variety to have. I haven’t seen fruit yet but it has distinctive leaves. Purty.

90BA5276-8EA4-4EA2-A9E8-6901776115F2.jpeg
Just found this crabapple today right in town in an abandoned lot, can’t believe I never noticed it before. Pretty impressive fruit load, about golf ball sized still hanging in early November. I will have to keep an eye on this one!

Really good find, BuckSnort!! A good one for the deer for sure. Maybe try grafting it??

View attachment 26960
Just found this crabapple today right in town in an abandoned lot, can’t believe I never noticed it before. Pretty impressive fruit load, about golf ball sized still hanging in early November. I will have to keep an eye on this one!

Grab some scion before someone clears the lot and name it.... Bucksnort Crab!
How big is the apple?
What USDA zone is it in?

Grab some scion before someone clears the lot and name it.... Bucksnort Crab!
How big is the apple?
What USDA zone is it in?

I had the same exact thought. My plan is to grab scion from all 3 crabapples I found this year for grafting. We are on the edge between Zone 3 & 4 here so I know they are cold hardy. This last one is a little bigger than golf ball size and held the longest of the 3 and I found it too late in the year for a taste test. I don’t have any history besides this year but it sure seems like a winner.

Doing well again this year. The flowering crab is the right part of the tree. The rootstock(Courthouse crab) is the left part.
18e22287b74382777797aecc630e9c54.jpg

^^^^^ Nice.

Yeah - looks like one may have passed thru.:emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks for the pic, Bur. I have a 2 yr old Haralson on B118 that needs a few more years before I see fruit.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if you guys are feeling on top of things, do you prune your hunting crabs just the same as you would a regular apple?

I prune to encourage growth above the browse like. After that, not too much. Of course, I don't prune my regular apples too much once they get above the browse line either.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if you guys are feeling on top of things, do you prune your hunting crabs just the same as you would a regular apple?

I do some pruning, but not too much on the deer crabs.
I wonder if pruning that exposes the trunk leads to more sunscauld and shorter life span. Then you need to paint the trunks white.

Many of our wild crabs here are more like a fifteen feet high bush that produces apples every other year. These trees I am speaking of are in exposed locations, like along a drainage ditch in ag country.

I prune to get a good shape for the tree with good scaffold limbs, and get the lowest limbs above 6 ft. Then I just prune to keep sun and air flow in the trees. I don't go crazy by any means either. I keep the water sprouts to a minimum and take out any broken limbs - no diseased ones thankfully.

For the first time in ten years living at my house when I got up at 2 am to pee there were two deer in the back yard. I always look but they are never there. What were they doing? They were playing hopscotch. First they ate my liberty, then my goldrush, then my ashmend, then nova spy, and finished it off with hemlock for desert. It was neat to watch with snow and a bright moon how they moved from tree to tree. They were very cautious for suburban deer, probably expecting my dog to appear as they were inside her run area. These trees don’t have apples yet but it will a deer hot spot when they do. Apples sure beat burning bushes, ninebark, and arborvitae.

A good sign, Chummer!! Once your trees start dropping fruit, they'll be regulars.