Crabapple timeline

F8D3270B-7EA4-44E0-8C15-A8756548ED6B.jpeg
Golden Hornet is dropping some fruit. This is probably drought related.

25EB0779-091A-4329-84A2-221B5BF45B1E.jpeg
ABC is near ripe. It looks like an elongated dolgo but ripens later. Flavor is also slightly different.

I have a ton of apples on the ground right now of many varieties, I don’t see much for deer tracks around the apple trees. I assume because of all of the acorns. I haven’t put any cameras out yet, but I will start putting them out this week. I use to run the 365/24/7, but the cost of batteries put a stop to that.

A 2023 update on Ranetka seedlings with several years of pics in past pages of this long thread. Maybe someday will try to group them better. In general these are 1" to 1-3/4" sized crabs with various drop times. A few are fair eaters, sweet but not as tasty as say a chestnut crab.

Ranetka A is typically early Sept ripen and drop for a few weeks. This tree was the first to fruit and consistent decent crops with nice form.
DSC02440 Ranetka A med.jpg

DSC02441 Ranetka A med.jpg

Ranetka B has started dropping some a bit earlier this year but in years past has held some into later Oct. This crab when ripe is fairly sweet and not bad. It also has suffered the most critter damage with the top and a major branch or two getting trashed while a young tree
DSC02439 Ranetka B med.jpg
DSC02442 Ranetka B med.jpg

Ranetka C another Sept tree and ok to eat with a dolgo looking oblong shape. Sweet when fully ripe but a bit of an aftertaste for a finish tho.
DSC02456 Ranetka C med.jpg
DSC02457 Ranetka C med.jpg

Ranetka D had very few fruit last year so normal drop time is a bit sketchy but nothing under this tree yet.
DSC02445 Ranetka D med.jpg
DSC02446 Ranetka D med.jpg

And the new kid on the block Ranetka E. While all trees planted at same time, this one has taken several more years to bear fruit. Right now hard as a rock and not even close to coming off. I tugged fairly hard and finally just took a pic while still attached. But being the first year with any fruit will see if this trend extends into later years.
DSC02458 Ranetka E med.jpg
DSC02459 Ranetka E med.jpg

So there you have it. Was hoping that a couple more Ranetka besides these would make it but think a potential Ranetka F is now toast/overwhelmed with a prickly ash advancement on a steeper slope which is also a bit more challenging to grow stuff when dry years hit.

A 2023 update on Ranetka seedlings with several years of pics in past pages of this long thread. Maybe someday will try to group them better. In general these are 1" to 1-3/4" sized crabs with various drop times. A few are fair eaters, sweet but not as tasty as say a chestnut crab.

Ranetka A is typically early Sept ripen and drop for a few weeks. This tree was the first to fruit and consistent decent crops with nice form.
View attachment 57089

View attachment 57091

Ranetka B has started dropping some a bit earlier this year but in years past has held some into later Oct. This crab when ripe is fairly sweet and not bad. It also has suffered the most critter damage with the top and a major branch or two getting trashed while a young tree
View attachment 57092
View attachment 57093

Ranetka C another Sept tree and ok to eat with a dolgo looking oblong shape. Sweet when fully ripe but a bit of an aftertaste for a finish tho.
View attachment 57094
View attachment 57095

Ranetka D had very few fruit last year so normal drop time is a bit sketchy but nothing under this tree yet.
View attachment 57097
View attachment 57098

And the new kid on the block Ranetka E. While all trees planted at same time, this one has taken several more years to bear fruit. Right now hard as a rock and not even close to coming off. I tugged fairly hard and finally just took a pic while still attached. But being the first year with any fruit will see if this trend extends into later years.
View attachment 57099
View attachment 57100

So there you have it. Was hoping that a couple more Ranetka besides these would make it but think a potential Ranetka F is now toast/overwhelmed with a prickly ash advancement on a steeper slope which is also a bit more challenging to grow stuff when dry years hit.
That E might end up being a good winter feed source. Thank you for posting.

ADAD5BF8-849E-4CD7-8A95-C2F8635F3DD9.jpeg
Frostbite is starting to drop. I stripped the fruit off as the limbs and central leader were tipping/ hanging too much.

This apple has a flavor I don’t really care for.

View attachment 57126
Over loaded seedling with weak wood. I think I posted a picture earlier.
A few years ago, I pounded a fence post in and tied part of this tree up with an old rubber gasket from a fridge or freezer. This tree gets no maintenance and is strictly for wildlife. I will see what is left of it by next spring. Not a serious loss, but I wouldn’t be surprise if regrowth occurs from some part of it.

Many of my wildlife trees get no maintenance. There are just too many of them.

A few years ago, I pounded a fence post in and tied part of this tree up with an old rubber gasket from a fridge or freezer. This tree gets no maintenance and is strictly for wildlife. I will see what is left of it by next spring. Not a serious loss, but I wouldn’t be surprise if regrowth occurs from some part of it.

Many of my wildlife trees get no maintenance. There are just too many of them.
If you had bears there, that tree would already be completely flat on the ground. I'm happy for you that you don't have bears!!

Is the St Edmund's Russet a whole tree there - or is it part of a Franken tree?? I'm wondering how it does with DR and little care.

If you had bears there, that tree would already be completely flat on the ground. I'm happy for you that you don't have bears!!

Is the St Edmund's Russet a whole tree there - or is it part of a Franken tree?? I'm wondering how it does with DR and little care.
We have bears but have had unlimited tags the last few years and that has made a difference.

SER is about 50 yards from my house and gets reasonable amounts of care. I see no high levels of disease at present. It gets sprayed around June 1 and July 1.

Is the SER its own whole tree - or a grafted limb that was top-worked onto a Franken tree?? SER has great taste reviews.

Is the SER its own whole tree - or a grafted limb that was top-worked onto a Franken tree?? SER has great taste reviews.
It’s a tree purchased from SLN. We like the taste.

I made a run outback to water some trees newly planted last spring and had to stop and sample 6-8 crab apples. It gets kind of hard on the stomach. I did post three of these on the dolgo versus dolgo seedling thread.
3D56AA63-9525-4F1B-B2C9-73EF1FEC3740.jpeg
Rootstock apple. It tastes decent. I have no idea of variety as someone gave me the rootstock and couldn’t remember what they were.

I made a run outback to water some trees newly planted last spring and had to stop and sample 6-8 crab apples. It gets kind of hard on the stomach. I did post three of these on the dolgo versus dolgo seedling thread.
View attachment 57434
Rootstock apple. It tastes decent. I have no idea of variety as someone gave me the rootstock and couldn’t remember what they were.
2970566D-D3EC-4EBC-9026-9E37C61FE4F1.jpeg
This seedling looks like a chestnut and perhaps that is in the parentage. Chestnut Crab has dropped most of their fruit, but this so holding and has a sharper, more acid taste than chestnut crab. A few years ago, I decided to call this Sharp Dog.

View attachment 57435
This seedling looks like a chestnut and perhaps that is in the parentage. Chestnut Crab has dropped most of their fruit, but this so holding and has a sharper, more acid taste than chestnut crab. A few years ago, I decided to call this Sharp Dog.
12BF28AC-0DE8-4ADA-A13D-0767E4052220.jpeg
This is the dolgo seedling that I call Clown Nose. I have other pictures of the fruit on the dolgo versus dolgo seedling thread. Fruit on the less sunny sides of the tree has more yellow.

I have several chestnut apple trees, and I have notice mid to late August they taste the best, I still have a few hanging on them, but they have gotten tart now. I thought maybe they were Witney crabs, but they look different.