All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP5A & CP42 Farm

Mista Paacha

5 year old buck +
I inherited an 80 from my grandfather last year. I am very excited to get started with the habitat.

Last year I rented the farm and received $205/acre for 60 acres of corn.

The CP5A is enrolled for 32.19 acres at $267.74/acre
The CP42 is enrolled for 27.06 acres at $215.87/acre
The CP21 is enrolled for 1.70 acres at $237.74/acre
I will have an 5.6 acre food-plot at my expense

Hopefully this warm weather holds out so I can get stuff planted.

As most of you are well aware the plan is very detailed, if you have any questions about what is going please ask.

This is a scan of the plan. Hope you can read it. Lots of clover firebreaks for the trees.

Nice property. What kind of plants are in the pollinator habitat blend versus the windbreak? Are you managing for deer, pheasants or both?

That looks great! Increased your income and habitat all in one move. The cost share should pay for most of the habitat as well. I like the CRP options...have a farm design similar to yours, with windbreaks, native grass buffers, riparian buffers (trees) just no pollinator.

Nice property. What kind of plants are in the pollinator habitat blend versus the windbreak? Are you managing for deer, pheasants or both?

The firebreaks will be seeded with Timothy, Redtop, Rye grass, Alfalfa, and several different types of Clover

The Pollinator has 7 different grasses and 29 different wildflowers.

Both deer and pheasants. The foodplot will be managed for deer.

Trees - 6800 shrubs, 3390 Conifers and 3100 hardwoods

That looks great! Increased your income and habitat all in one move. The cost share should pay for most of the habitat as well. I like the CRP options...have a farm design similar to yours, with windbreaks, native grass buffers, riparian buffers (trees) just no pollinator.

I was able to save quite a bit on seed and trees. So the cost share should more than cover planting costs.

Are you hiring a tree planter?
That's a lot of trees.

Looks like a great project though.

I believe the Cp42 allows up to 10% in "Wildlife Food Plots". If you want more food plot, and get paid for it....

Are you hiring a tree planter?
That's a lot of trees.

Looks like a great project though.

Yes. I have hired a guy that plants and manages CRP. He was recommended by the FSA office. He works with the office, bills them directly. The contract I signed with him states the cost will not exceed the cost share. He will get close to $30,000 to plant all my CRP.

I believe the Cp42 allows up to 10% in "Wildlife Food Plots". If you want more food plot, and get paid for it....

I'm not sure if it differs from state to state but my CP42 was not allowed to have "wildlife food plots". With that being said. The firebreaks are all clover and alfalfa....The trees will all be seeded with oats between rows.

That is a bunch of "pollinator habitat" have you ever thought about beekeeping? Any room for a few fruit trees in that plan? Looks great!!

That is a bunch of "pollinator habitat" have you ever thought about beekeeping? Any room for a few fruit trees in that plan? Looks great!!

My BIL is going to try beekeeping. If he doesn't like it or fails miserably....the farmer that rented my ground last year has asked to place his hives on my ground. So yes bees are in the plan.

It's strange how apple and plum trees just grow. :emoji_smirk:

My BIL is going to try beekeeping. If he doesn't like it or fails miserably....the farmer that rented my ground last year has asked to place his hives on my ground. So yes bees are in the plan.

It's strange how apple and plum trees just grow. :emoji_smirk:

Right on! Iowa might be warm enough for a pear tree to "just grow" too. *wink*

Good looking plan,take lots of pictures and I would advise to take some from the same spot every year,you will be amazed

Can I ask what county or area you are in, my IA farm is by Osceola...I am very surprised the FSA/NRCS allowed you to have that many windbreaks? That is not always easy to get approved.

Can I ask what county or area you are in, my IA farm is by Osceola...I am very surprised the FSA/NRCS allowed you to have that many windbreaks? That is not always easy to get approved.

Floyd county and it wasn't easy. It took the NRCS over a year to put together this plan.

Floyd county and it wasn't easy. It took the NRCS over a year to put together this plan.

Ha Ha, wow, that does not surprise me. One time I went into the FSA office after setting up a bunch of CRP, and the lady gave me the cross symbol with her fingers. They do not like the extra work!

Right on! Iowa might be warm enough for a pear tree to "just grow" too. *wink*

I have some pear trees in my yard. They are incredibly lazy. Nice looking trees but they must be queer.

Good looking plan,take lots of pictures and I would advise to take some from the same spot every year,you will be amazed

My BIL might not be much of a bee keeper but he is very skilled with a drone. He will be taking pics and videos for me.

I just had a 60 acre tree planting in MO, about 35 miles S. of Iowa expire, nobody is getting anything in, around me.