Covert cam, anyone have one?

biglakeba$$

5 year old buck +
I bought the MP8 Black this year.

That thing, if sunlight has any angle to hit the sensors, its going nuts with runaway pics.
I called support and they told me to try the sensitivity setting, which I did. They told me not to face it so it can get direct sunlight.

Well thats BS. I have plenty of cameras that dont go run away mode with direct sunlight and I have a couple that are pointed where sun can burn on it directly a few hours a day.
I understand its best to not set it where it can get sunlight, but there is a point where they can handle some.

The gal there claims I need to change my location. I say I need to change camera brands.

Anyone else have a covert and just struggle to get it to work unless you put it in a spot where ZERO sunlight can hit it directly?
I am going to send it in, but I dont want to play this game if the Coverts are just susceptible to sunlight like that.

I have a black 60. I never had it run away but do have it take a lot of picture of trees moving in the wind. I set the sensitivity to low from normal, have it soaking right now...may pull pictures tonight if I do I will let you know.

The first one I had the buckles broke during winter. ..they replaced with no hassle.

Mine is definitely not wind blowing branches and weeds. Night time run away stops and the only pics are of deer. So far wind sensitivity seems excellent on the cam.

Thanks Kabic

I have 2 of them and I also just recently had the issue of sun runaway pics. Mine was facing directly west and also had a few branches in view. That being said, I like the cameras a lot and just make adjustments to avoid the sun. I've experienced that issue with all other cams I've had as well.
What's weird though I've had the cam in the same position since spring and the last pull is the first time it went crazy with pics. 3,500 in 2 weeks.

I really like the cam as well other than this sunlight sensitivity. Maybe I just make every effort to point it north.
Battery life is absolutely killer. I have the same set of batteries in it that I put in when I got the cam this spring and its burned through 1500 pics and filled the cards 4 or 5 times now and its still 3 out of 4 bars. However, I dont need to be filling a memory card in a week like this either.....

I have a Bushnell Trophy HD and an 8mp Trophy cam out as we speak. One points SE, so its getting a nice sunburn daily and hardly a day pic without something in it. the other one is pointed east and gets a fair amount of sun, but not quite as much. That one again, zero issues with random daily pics.

I may send it in just to try. I hate having a cam that I need to make special exceptions for, when I paid for something that should work at least like other brands do.

I have some Black 60s and have always had a problem with the sun thing. Picture quality is great and battery life good, but I would never want another one because of the same problems you are talking about. Good battery life isn't worth much when you are taking 10,000 pictures a day of nothing.:D

I have 5 Black 60's. Every once in a while one will run wild but not very often. Battery life is outstanding.

I own 7 covert cams and have never had this problem but I don't own the mp8 black. I try to point my cams north most of the time and I think this helps.

I have 5 black ops and they have performed as advertised. I think you have a bad one.

I really like Covert. Never had an issue with the camera and pictures are mostly animals.

Battery life is great!!

I believe browndog is correct.

We have 8 coverts and we have noticed that if we use the mpe-5 on a field, it will keep taking blank pictures until it feels the card up. Once we put it in the woods, the camera is fine. We have 3 red 40's and it doesn't do it with that camera.

I don't think he is with Covert anymore.

He was with them in March, did he jump to a different brand? I only got mine during their closeout sale in spring, 115/cam.

Pic quality is good, video is good. I had issues on one of the two with it not taking pictures during the early rut..frustrating. exchanged no problem. however, I have issues when the cameras take its first pic from night to day mode. I get a VERY bright/white pic. I have also seen where the camera takes tons of wind pics. frustrating. I switched setting tk low sensitivity and same thing. if pat is truly gone, I won't go back as I figured for the price it was a good option.

I have 2 880s still alive and numerous trophy cams. I think I have a couple from back in 2010 still. no complaints but price on those. buddy got the new 880, and night photos are impressive. got two primos 57 when they had the huge sale plus 30 dollar mail jn rebate this sprjng, I'm still unsure on these. 60 bucks a cam though after the rebate/sale so not bad.

I've been trying to find "the sweet spot", but haven't found the flawless cam yet. not ready for reconyx yet. back to your question, the black 60s that I've got struggle with light sensitivity as well as motion sensitivity. and the white picture bothers the crap out of me, because what if that picture happened to be a monster that j missed. I plan to roll video only on these.

my covert black 60 gets a little crazy with the sun triggers every now and then...mainy once the leaves are down and the woods are less shady. The thing i dont like about it is when you have in an open area the black flash hardly illuminates anything unless it is right dead center in front of the camera. but when in the woods and there is a "back drop" of trees and brush it is fine. I'm going into my second year with it and so far i am happy with it for the price i paid. if i get a couple of years out of it, then i will consider it worth the money. I still have two older moultries (2011 and 2012) that are still hammering....and one of those was chewed on by a bear.

Just sifted through endless wind pics with the sensitivity at lowest setting. Not thrilled about it. I won't bash covert, but with results I find it hard to promote them.

My moultrie 880 is doing this as well. I just moved it to a shady creek crossing spot as I don't have time to go through 4000 pics of nothing!!! If it does it there I don't know what I will do

I have a couple of the Covert MP5's and they trigger with the sun also, I have one set up over a new plot facing east and it's the worst specially between 9A.M. and noon.