Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who can make sense of this map? I have some assumptions based off what my wife told me from working in the ER and ICU.

36E8902B-F1FD-4F61-A33D-C28357EB6018.jpeg

DryCreek and I worry about Texas turning blue due to same phenomenon

bill
With Austin, Dallas and Houston so liberal (and to a lesser degree San Antonio and El Paso) it could well happen. I’m just glad to be out in the country where it’s still reasonably conservative. Living close to a nuclear plant insures we won’t be taken over by liberals moving in around here. Not sure about the rest of the state.

Rice Lake City Council is voting tonight to open the city. Despite the Barron County Sheriff saying he would support the Governor's order. Not voting for that guy next election.

Chuck

Not too much. I transplanted a bunch of stuff of the other property before I sell it. 20 or so apples and about the same # of spruce.
That is a pretty major project. How were the roots on the apple trees? Was it about three years or more since you planted them?

Who can make sense of this map? I have some assumptions based off what my wife told me from working in the ER and ICU.

View attachment 29427
From what I remember reading in past articles we had a majority (over half) of deaths occurring in senior care facilities. I haven't seen any articles mentioning that lately, but today's stats show 83% of the state's deaths in the 70+ year old demographic with the median death age of 83.

Based on those facts, my guess is that we have had some senior care facilities get hit particularly hard and that's raising our death percentage, especially when you factor in that up until recently MN wasn't testing you unless you met all the "criteria". So a lot of the less-serious cases that were sent home to recover are not captured in the # of confirmed cases.

But still, it looks like Wisconsin has only ran approx 6k more tests than MN (~70k vs ~64k) - not enough to explain finding 50% more cases with only 9% more tests ran. There must be another reason for that, what that is I have no clue.

What are your thoughts Bucks?

View attachment 29427

If you extrapolate those numbers out into millions. It’s probably statistically insignificant. That being said , with those death numbers so low it could be just a matter of a little outbreak in one small area. You could have one little hot spot and all of a sudden you’ve got 100 deaths in an urban area.
Not that it matters in this discussion but just for info , NY had 337 deaths just today. Lowest one day total in a month.

Last edited:
That is a pretty major project. How were the roots on the apple trees? Was it about three years or more since you planted them?
Dave I will answer this over in apples, apples, apples to get it out of here. I am going up today so I will get some pics

View attachment 29427
My wife teaches with a woman who's daughter is a nurse in Milwaukee. It sounds like its pretty bad over there in certain areas.

Situation update from MN:

463 new cases confirmed today, the largest daily total by a LONG ways. (private labs testing 10x, 15, up 25x the MN ministry of health per day = pathetic)
319 deaths total. 83% of those for indiviuals 70+ and the overwhelming majority have co morbidities
Median age of death= 83 years old
As the testing increases the death rate will plummet
Hospitals remain largely empty

Capture.PNG

So for the longest time sick people came into the hospital where my wife worked. 95+% were sent home without a test, unless you were a healthcare worker or being admitted to the hospital. We have 3m in this state, Mayo Clinic, University of MN, Dr Michael Osterhomo (apparently one of the leading infectious disease experts in the world), we used to have Medtronic until they fled overseas cause of the Obamacare tax on medical device makers. Its pathetic that Walz and his St Paul cronies couldn't get their shit together and get on top of this testing long ago. Private labs are doing all the heavy lifting. University of MN just asked for $20 million last week. This crap has been going on for almost 2 months and they just figure it out now??

If you ask me this thing is incredibly widespread already, HIGHLY contagious and by the time they have their shit together we will have herd immunity. The decision makers are always gonna be one step behind. I firmly believe the number of cases of corona virus floating around MN is at least 100x higher then the confirmed number. I think its time to really start opening shit up and those that are susceptible should stay at home. The nursing homes are the ones that need the attention. Now that we have caught up on protective gear for the hospitals its time to start getting other things going. Lots of elective surgery and medical needs that needs to start getting addressed ASAP.

I just talked to a friend of mine, her brother in law just died, 89 years old. He had major heart issues, and had a heart attach, they listed his death as Corona. Same thing happened to the same friends daughters father in law, had a heart attach, 87 years old. Listed cause of death, Corona. Got keep those numbers up there, so the hype is justified!

The inflation of causes of death will come into play when it comes time to put the boot leather to China. We will not be paying them back the money we owe them and beyond...

The inflation of causes of death will come into play when it comes time to put the boot leather to China. We will not be paying them back the money we owe them and beyond...

That’s going to depend on the election.

~24hrs since last new post in this thread

? plateau,flattening of curve

bill

Too busy preparing for the hospital to reopen - plus, I said my piece. I think that the regular posters on this thread could probably write each others' comments. Habitat diversity, political diversity...it's all good. We've seen the numbers level off, but not much of a decline, so plateau at least here. Mortality is mainly in older folks, although there's some disturbing new data coming in regarding secondary complications in younger folks. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get back to it. On the financial side, we're looking at 10% across the board salary reductions - many faculty are starting this voluntarily today - and a 27% reduction in staffing. Combined with an increased workload, it's going to be tough. But at least we still have jobs. I'm feeling for my buddies who have been furloughed. Be well.

~24hrs since last new post in this thread

? plateau,flattening of curve

bill
It is setting in that we destroyed our economy and the politicians and media failed us when we actually needed them. Then there is the whole China allowed this to happen and probably on purpose. This is worthy of war, what that war looks like, I don’t know but it looks like the world has had enough of their shit. Good thing Hunter got that 1.5 billion from them while he could. We have an election coming up between a guy half the country hates with every part of their soul against a guy who can’t complete two sentences. A guy with as much baggage as Trump without any of the accomplishments or brains. Glad I can go play in the dirt whenever I want, at least until they ban that too. So yeah, the curve has flattened.

Woulda thought someone from Michigan would be commenting on their governor’s extension of the stay at home order for a month, while much of the country is starting to reopen. Seems like the Democrat controlled states want to extend this insanity while the Republican controlled states want to move forward. Who believes this isn’t politally motivated?

Too busy preparing for the hospital to reopen - plus, I said my piece. I think that the regular posters on this thread could probably write each others' comments. Habitat diversity, political diversity...it's all good. We've seen the numbers level off, but not much of a decline, so plateau at least here. Mortality is mainly in older folks, although there's some disturbing new data coming in regarding secondary complications in younger folks. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get back to it. On the financial side, we're looking at 10% across the board salary reductions - many faculty are starting this voluntarily today - and a 27% reduction in staffing. Combined with an increased workload, it's going to be tough. But at least we still have jobs. I'm feeling for my buddies who have been furloughed. Be well.

Get back to work Doc.

It was nice to get some factual insight into understanding the progression of an infectious disease, and finding a cure. I can see one has to be flexible and open minded to figure out how to beat this thing… traits that seem to be surprisingly elusive at times. URMC is lucky to have you, and so are we.

One thing that seems to be abundantly clear. An overwhelming % of people that were either hospitalized or died had pre existing conditions ranging from obesity to heart disease. In the big picture, to me , this is a reflection of the poor state of health spawned from western diet and lifestyle. AS we go forward as a society this could bring us to an important decision. Do we want to look to the Govt. to protect our health or do we want to take personal responsibility for our health?

Appears to me , looking at the nation as a whole the govt approach has been akin to surgery with a chain saw not effectively addressing the unique needs of the population variances that make our country so interesting. Whereas across the entirety of our population, the individuals that have lived healthy lifestyles with diet , exercise and other immune system bolstering activities have had minimal issues. What can we learn from that? And what choices might that lead us to?

Status
Not open for further replies.