All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn plot damage

Jimmy G

5 year old buck +
Quick question for everyone. Some of my corn plants have gotten a haircut to my disappointment, ideas on the culprit?
2ad53c9df9ba17bfc1a7ff101d29de5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

had that happen to mine last year on a 2 acre piece. We blamed ground hogs. and deer chomping off the leader. Dont now that that's 100% true, but we saw groundhogs destroying corn.

Kinda miserable, but we got dry as soon as the corn was up, so it shot out of the ground, but then flat lined. Never had a chance to really grow up out of reach, and by the time hunting season came along, there wasn't an ear on it. It turned into a corridor for deer to drift thru. Wasn't all bad, but for feeding it didn't work.

deer will eat it, bears, ground hogs, coons, and odds are many more things
hard to say, are there NO tracks to see ??

No deer tracks, I've got really sandy soil and can see anything that goes thru. Any insects that would lop the top off?

No deer tracks, I've got really sandy soil and can see anything that goes thru. Any insects that would lop the top off?

Kinda doubt a bug would be that thorough on each plant.

could be a rodent of some sort

If the whole plot has as much thatch as the pic indicates, a fawn track wouldn't be visible. Neither would a groundhog track