Corn and pumpkins?

Aaron

5 year old buck +
I was thinking about planting corn and pumpkins together. The last 5 years the deer have mowed down my pumpkins before they can ripen. What I am thinking about doing is plant RR corn one week and wait a few weeks and plant my pumpkins in my corn rows and spray the same day. I would top dress my corn and pumpkins with Milwaukee sludge/ sewer plant fertilizer. I hear the oder will keep deer from eating my plants for a while. I was hopeing that my corn would keep the deer off the pumpkins until they are ready or until late season. I would only plant like 4-6 rows of corn and plant my pumpkins on the outside edges but inside. My theory is every year we have pumpkins that end up growing in thick patches of raspberries. They get a free pass from the deer, it’s like they can’t find them. I wouldn’t care about the amount of corn I get. The corn would also act as a plot screen. What do you guys think? Thanks Aaron

Sludge or Milorganite?

Milorganite but the guy I talked to called it sludge.

I've been planting a hybrid pumpkin the last few years like 78 day or something like that. Gives me enough time to pick some pumpkins in mid September which remarkably stay good through Halloween. I over seed the pumpkin patch with winter rye and radish, turnip. Then mow the pumpkin vines. Treat heavy with moraginite which dose keep deer away for about a month depending on rain. Can't blame them, I don't like to be near those folks in Milwaukee, much less their $hit!

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm interested in pumpkin. Looks like they make a lot of tonnage. A guy from Green Cover Seed told me he goes to produce stands and pumpkin farms after Halloween and buys left-over by the pick-up truck load and he tosses them into his plots. He said the deer go nuts over them. I had only a few to spread in my plots last fall and it took the deer a little while to realize they liked them. Then they wouldn't leave them alone.
What is you guys' planting method for the pumpkins? Are they hand planted on mounds? Are you using some sort of planter?
Can they just be broadcast and lightly disced-in? I assume deer are only eating the pumpkins and not the plant?
I've been wanting to do some pumpkin for a few years but I don't have any type of planter.

Last edited:
i sprayed the area to be planted with gly and then used a dibble bar to plant " a few" seeds every ~ 3 feet

I was happy with results. I planted too early and had pumpkins in august!

East texas engineering........

bill

I do hills by hand. It takes time, but it is worth it when you have hundreds of pumpkins for late season hunting. The first few years were outstanding, after the deer found out that they liked them. That is why I want to hide them a little. I don’t care about the amount of corn I would get, it is for the pumpkins. Most of the time I plant around a 150 hills in my food plot and 50 more by my yard that I transfer to my food plot later in the fall.

Aaron, what is your planting date for hunting season attraction?

Have broadcasted in well disc'd soil with success. I like to no till and just heal the seeds into a turnip hole. Hills never helped my yeilds

Grew a ton of different pumpkins last yr. Big ones, small ones, round ones, flat ones, etc. Couldn't get deer to eat a single one of them. Even put a bag of corn on some... they just ate around them. I have goofy deer.
c2993312b5d729a8f9996ac1d1a71f15.jpg
7fe228a846241b749e1ce9543fe2e4c2.jpg
7e6d18ea79ac39032ea3fb7c1753c5d8.jpg
efa386de29802d4f36449bf7f8854d8a.jpg
beae8510abfbf3ead4e2464dfad1e1dd.jpg
81f7be49c2d0b6eca79e93766e9a8d45.jpg
d26b9597887683b6eb6fd9f09d07184f.jpg
0b2cf36e16ecc7c0db8667f6881e6db2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are they maybe the wrong variety?

I grew quite a few different varieties... My deer don't like turnips or winter rye either so I just blame the deer as eccentric.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

C'est la vie.

I guess the key is to feed them all kinds of stuff, and keep feeding them what they like, and stop feeding them what they don't like.

I'm thinking I'd like to try some pumpkins. What planting dates are you guys using? Plots are in 6a (Southern Indiana).

I'd probably do them in combination with something else. What, if anything, are you planting with them?

I'm thinking I'd like to try some pumpkins. What planting dates are you guys using? Plots are in 6a (Southern Indiana).

I'd probably do them in combination with something else. What, if anything, are you planting with them?

It looks like Northbound said he plants 78 day hybrid. I assume that you would want to count 78 days backward from your average frost date to figure out the planting date.

So, you guys with pumpkin experience...
Where are some good sources for seed? Are you just buying a few packets of seed or is a bulk source better? And any input on specific varieties would be helpful. Explain why someone might choose hybrids, short season, long season, etc. Any other info would be great. Thanks.

For what it's worth; I had to spray for bugs a lot. Squash bugs would show up and kill vines overnight it seemed like. Of the things I've planted these were very high maintenance.

I guess I am confused a bit. Wouldn't the pumpkins and corn be competition for each other? I know corn HATES competition during the growing season. Even if you don't want the corn to produce grain.....corn seems like an expensive alternative. I don;t see much actual browsing of the corn plant itself in my area either, so maybe I am missing something there as well. I would also fear that something tall may actually encourage the deer to visit the area even more......vs the wide open of a pumpkin patch. I have never grown pumpkins but may try it if given the chance this year just for grins. It will be interesting to see how long or even if my deer take interest in them.....

I may as well try some pumpkins this summer. What variety do the deer like best?

I plant as soon as frost chances are over. I rush into it as I always plant a cover crop after pumpkins. The hybrid day I may be off but I remember whatever I order is like 15 days faster than typical pumpkin. That 2 weeks in this area is crucial for decent turnip crop following the pumpkins. Buying online is so much cheaper by the pound compared to local tiny packages. Can't remember where as I bought a few years worth. I've tried saving and drying the seeds with poor success,