Conspiracy theorys, where do you stand?

Eliminate all news sources for 2 weeks and you’ll think the world is just fine.

Miss the days when we got our 30 minute daily dose of news in the evening from Walter Cronkite with no commentary or opinion added.

Personally sick of both sides of the 24 hr cable news talking heads.

This^^^^^^^^

I really think most people underestimate how miserable watching hours of these 24 hour news channels makes them. Add in the echo chamber of social media and people’s lives are getting ruined. Over stuff that is 99% designed to piss them off enough to send money to “fight the other side” and “save our country.”

Most people need about a half hour of news a day at most. Hit the high points and move on.

Most podcasts are propaganda trash so I am hesitant to recommend one. I really like a daily podcast called ”The President’s Daily Brief”. It’s a 20 minute summary of world events. It is designed like a CIA briefing that the president would receive but instead of classified info it’s all open source info. Quick and to the point. I feel really well informed after listening and although the host does poke some fun at times, he keeps the commentary to a minimum.

Last edited:
This^^^^^^^^

I really think most people underestimate how miserable watching hours of these 24 hour news channels makes them. Add in the echo chamber of social media and people’s lives are getting ruined. Over stuff that is 99% designed to piss them off enough to send money to “fight the other side” and “save our country.”

Most people need about a half hour of news a day at most. Hit the high points and move on.

Most podcasts are propaganda trash so I am hesitant to recommend one. I really like a daily podcast called ”The President’s Daily Brief”. It’s a 20 minute summary of world events. It is designed like a CIA briefing that the president would receive but instead of classified info it’s all open source info. Quick and to the point. I feel really well informed after listening and although the host does poke some fun at times, he keeps the commentary to a minimum.
Yes, everyone should go back to putting their head in the sand and calling it a day.

Wasn’t Cronkite a huge liberal feeding us the government lines verbatim….except we didn’t know it then?
Maybe he was but it was only 30 minutes a day instead of 24/7. Also...back in the '60's most here in the south where "conservative" democrats.

^^^ 15 minute cities. 3 of the 4 small town hospitals in my area have closed in the past few years. The 1 that is open is rebuilding as a smaller hospital next year. Anyone else seeing hospitals closing or are we the only lucky ones?
I live within 45 min of Mayo Clinc. With that being said there has been several smaller clinics close in the area and probably just as many open.

Yes, everyone should go back to putting their head in the sand and calling it a day.
I’m far from doing that. I have solidly separated myself from the windbags filling airtime 24/7 though.

They were the same here in the Great White North, triple C. But too many of them still vote that way because they don’t watch the news enough, IMO.

Instead, they watch things like ‘the View’ to get get away from it 😭

But I do get what you’re saying about the 24/7 rage machine…..point taken there!

Miss the days when we got our 30 minute daily dose of news in the evening from Walter Cronkite with no commentary or opinion added.

Sage advice. And we used to only watch the local news because that mattered most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t Cronkite a huge liberal feeding us the government lines verbatim….except we didn’t know it then?
You'd have to find a big pile of sand to plunk one's head into, to not do a little reading about Operation Mockingbird, the Church Committee, and Carl Bernstein's 1977 article in Rollingstone entitled, "The CIA and the media" . I encourage people to pick any source they want, and to do some reading. Most don't, and that's why they still fall for it.

Didn't intend to infer that. It's the 24/7 talking heads on TV I can't stomach anymore. Downloaded one of the NEWS apps with a monthly subscription and read at my leisure from multiple sources rather than watching FOX, CNN, MSNBC, etc on tv.

Man, I don’t know. I haven’t intentionally watched “the news” on tv in years. When I happen to catch it or have to look at the newspaper for something specific, I’m generally surprised at the lack of coverage of some major issues and problems. The crime in my nearest metro area is at epic levels. They won’t even give physical descriptions of suspects for fear of making someone mad. The local govt and police force is infallible, untouchable, but obviously culpable.

In fact, I spend virtually all my living hours within 60 miles of one of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, or Jackson, MS. Local media here whistles past the graveyard with great skill.

“The news” paints a much rosier picture than my eyes see.

Man, I don’t know. I haven’t intentionally watched “the news” on tv in years. When I happen to catch it or have to look at the newspaper for something specific, I’m generally surprised at the lack of coverage of some major issues and problems. The crime in my nearest metro area is at epic levels. They won’t even give physical descriptions of suspects for fear of making someone mad. The local govt and police force is infallible, untouchable, but obviously culpable.

In fact, I spend virtually all my living hours within 60 miles of one of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, or Jackson, MS. Local media here whistles past the graveyard with great skill.

“The news” paints a much rosier picture than my eyes see.
Violent crime in the country is down statistically. I'm not sure how those major metros relate in the long term trend.

Violent crime in the country is down statistically. I'm not sure how those major metros relate in the long term trend.
Like anything I think numbers can be manipulated to show whatever someone wants. I just don’t see a way crime is down, I see a way prosecution of crimes are way down though.

Not sure how violent crime could be down, just looking locally, Milwaukee broke records yet again for murders ,shootings, car thefts etc last year.

Is that what the news says?

In all seriousness, it hasn’t been safe for me to fill my truck up within 5 miles of my place of work for the last 20 years. And new murder records are being set. Idc about the statistics.

Last edited:
Like anything I think numbers can be manipulated to show whatever someone wants. I just don’t see a way crime is down, I see a way prosecution of crimes are way down though.
For sure numbers can be manipulated. Unemployment figures got manipulated under GW and have continued a different "metric" for measurement since then. I can't speak to if that is happening for violent crime or not.
Is that what the news says?

In all seriousness, it hasn’t been safe for me to fill my truck up within 5 miles of my place of work for the last 20 years. And new murder records are being set. Idc about the statistics.
Ok, so it doesn't matter what the statistics say, if your neighborhood feels less safe to you then obviously the rest of the country is the same?
Come on, man
Please, enlighten me.

Figures don't lie but liars figure.
My Dad’s words from 60 years ago. Gives little hope when the Feds or State figure out a budget. Based on estimates of future income.

I have the most faith in our townships figures.