Conservation Easements...the good, the bad, and the money

I am not that familar with RIM but in general arn't they trying to tie-up wetlands near farm land because of the run-off? I know in SW/W minnesota the farmers have tiled and drained so many of the wetlands that they have moved the duck flyway west.
I have seen lots of tile going in around central Minnesota this year.

Our governor is fixed on this buffer strip idea, but will the buffer strips make any difference if tile lines run through them and to the ditch?

I'll have to check with my FSA/NRCS folks. To my knowledge IN doesn't have any sort of "land retirement" program :( - at least not one to offset the financial loss of keeping it in farm production.

I am not that familar with RIM but in general arn't they trying to tie-up wetlands near farm land because of the run-off? I know in SW/W minnesota the farmers have tiled and drained so many of the wetlands that they have moved the duck flyway west.
I drove up threw sw Minnesota on my way up to my property this Friday and couldn't believe how little cover there is down there. I can see now how deer densities can be single digits in these areas.

I improve my property at my own expense too, but when this program is out there why not take advantage of it.

Some don't like it because it's taxpayer money...yeah I know, but I pay plenty and its permanent wildlife habitat not an Obama phone.

Totally agree. My whole feeling about some of these fsa programs are absolutely ridiculous. my buddy said his dad signed up for some and cashed in pretty heavily. what did they require of him? he couldn't spray a certain type of chemical on his land (which he wasn't in the first place) and had to follow a certain practice (which he was already doing). we both agreed how stupid it was, but it was there so why wouldnt you do it? if you don't then someone else will get that money.

I would have no shame in cashing in.

Actually no you get to keep the remaining payments!

If you get a new 10/15 year contract you will get all those payments and you are required to manage the CRP just as you would otherwise.

The RIM program will work with existing CRP.

I have payments until 2022 in CRP that I get to keep...then it shuts off, no more income.

No kidding?! I was told that WRP gets converted to WRP and no longer tied to CRP. That is a no brained answer there. Bwoods, I'd you don't mind, could I PM you and get some contacts up in that area? I jnow you did it in Kittson county, but I'm literally 24 tee shots away from kittson(few miles) so I'm guessing there is a person that handles kittson/marshall/roseau counties?

NWMN--yes sure. I did the RIM plan in Pope County (south of Alexandria) near the town of Villard, which is s suburb of Westport:)

I have looked into RIM up in Kittson. It's available, but not sure I would put that farm in RIM??

WRP is different, if you put your farm in WRP, payments end immediately..I think?
Note--I'm not sure WRP is even available right now?

Illinois has crep conservation reserve easement program which is I believe a federal program, my property is on the wrong side of the highway and a different watershed than they are enrolling property in.

As a realtor in MN who has sold some RIM land, I would say that if you ever plan to sell the land, you should carefully consider enrolling it in the RIM program. It is very difficult to sell especially if it is low land. At this point it is perpetual. It cannot be taken out of the program. With land prices depressed now, 20 years from now the payment you receive may be a fraction of what it is worth.
If you plan to keep the land, it is a good program. A lot depends on the SWCD that you are in. Other than the easement you also draw up a conservation plan that addresses food plots etc. If you plan to hunt it be sure they will allow you to put up deer stands. I have a copy of the easement and the conservation plan if anyone is interested.
The biggest complaint is that the buyer gets paid nothing with no tax break and has restrictions on the land.

Last edited:
NWMN--yes sure. I did the RIM plan in Pope County (south of Alexandria) near the town of Villard, which is s suburb of Westport:)

I have looked into RIM up in Kittson. It's available, but not sure I would put that farm in RIM??

WRP is different, if you put your farm in WRP, payments end immediately..I think?
Note--I'm not sure WRP is even available right now?
I grew up in Villard and lived in Westport for a bit.

I grew up in Villard and lived in Westport for a bit.
My farm is in between, used to be owned by the Butler family.

It was a cattle farm, now it's 100% wildlife farm. Trees, ponds and CRP/native grasses.
Four acres of food plots.

My farm is in between, used to be owned by the Butler family.

It was a cattle farm, now it's 100% wildlife farm. Trees, ponds and CRP/native grasses.
Four acres of food plots.
I know it well. I graduated with Karen Butler.