Concrete Mesh Fencing

greyphase

5 year old buck +
$215 to $270 for a 150 foot roll in southcentral pa. :emoji_rage: :emoji_rage::emoji_rage:

That should make a lot of cages.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Paid $104 here in SE Pa. - but that wasn't real recently. Extra cost probably due to supply-chain problems with Communist China. That's where Home Depot and Lowes get their concrete mesh from - probably most other mesh vendors as well. :emoji_rage::emoji_rage::emoji_rage:

I bought 2 rolls this spring for ~150$ each....darn price increases...now wish I had bought 3 for next spring's trees...I might know already what I'm getting for Christmas!

Over $200 at Menards here too. I bought a couple rolls of 4' x 100' welded wire from Tractor Supply for $80 a roll instead.

I would avoid big box stores. I found a few 150' rolls this summer from a rural lumber store. I found it by searching local steel and wire wholesale. I have no idea where they are sourcing their steel, but it was 50% (~$100) what Menards or other stores were charging.

Stainless & carbon steel materials have gone up 30-40% in last 30 days. Glad I bought 4 rolls back in Jan.

I usually have enough material due to previous year seedling mortality or planned removal

Never hurts to keep a roll or two in reserve

bill

To think we were buying rolls at Fleet Farm in 2018 for $55!

I usually have enough material due to previous year seedling mortality or planned removal

Never hurts to keep a roll or two in reserve

bill
I reused 2 cages from trees that didn't make it and it was super nice to not have to buy a whole roll for 2 more...

At the end of the day the mesh roll cost does not matter as it is the best option to protect your trees.

Watch all the additional costs that people use to support and protect 4x2 wire fence to protect deer from bending and pushing it in.

At $175/roll, you are paying ~$11.60 per 10' strip for cage. Cage with one stake at $5 ea for total per cage of $16.60.

for 4x2 wire fence, you are paying $10 per 10' strip for cage. Add 3-4 metal stakes at $5 ea and you have a $25-30 per caged tree.

Last edited:
At the end of the day the mesh roll cost does not matter as it is the best option to protect your trees.

Watch all the additional costs that people use to support and protect 4x2 wire fence to protect deer from bending and pushing it in.

At $175/roll, you are paying ~$11.60 per 10' strip for cage. Cage with one stake at $5 ea for total per cage of $16.60.

for 4x2 wire fence, you are paying $10 per 10" strip for cage. Add 3-4 metal stakes at $5 ea and you have a $25-30 per caged tree.
Agree completely Spud. And here in southcentral Pa you might as well not plant a tree if you don't fence it good cause the deer will walk past a dozen oak, maple saplings to eat one apple tree. :(

5' x 150' roll of concrete wire here is $208 at Lowes...5' x 100' roll of welded 12 gauge galvanized fence is $160

I just priced it here locally.

Menards-$187.76
Lowes-$197.22

CRAP!!!!!!

I am planting around 60 new fruit trees next spring….figures.

I just priced it here locally.

Menards-$187.76
Lowes-$197.22

CRAP!!!!!!

I am planting around 60 new fruit trees next spring….figures.
Like I said, I would check with wholesale. You can probably find it cheaper. Especially if you will be buying in bulk. A quick Google search turned up this: http://www.catalog.janell.com/pd226347/Wire-Mesh-Rolls

I found rural farm stores might have smaller rolls that work out to be quite a bit cheaper too.

for 4x2 wire fence, you are paying $10 per 10' strip for cage. Add 3-4 metal stakes at $5 ea and you have a $25-30 per caged tree.
I used to use 2" x 4" welded wire fencing. Bears here flossed their teeth with it. Deer pushed it in - as you said - and it was a complete waste of money. We've been using concrete mesh for some years now - once and done - at least with the deer. Bears are another problem altogether. IMO and IME - concrete mesh is the best option for deer protection, and it can be re-used after failures.

$250 here now…WTF!!!!!

Avoid the big box stores. I know that there are some places still sitting on inventory that will have not gone up quite this much. I would google search for "wholesale concrete remesh". Also, check out more rural farm stores. Even as late as July and August of this year I was finding some for close to pre-covid prices.

I just bought $2420 in herbicides because of the inflation issues we are seeing. They may or may not see a price hike but I figured it didn’t hurt to have a couple years worth on hand to try and ride this out. Really though with the Clown in the White House for 3 more years it’s really tough to say how bad things will get. Let’s pray we do in fact still have a legitimate electoral process in this country and midterm elections are a complete blood bath for the Dem’s. If they aren’t then we all know the elections are a complete joke at this point.