CO muley hunt

scott44

5 year old buck +
Just got back late last night from CO, Had a good time hunting but didn't bag anything but had a couple of chances, one a 3X3 popped out of the spruce at 10 yds and didn't give me a chance to get pulled back before he spotted me and the other my son and I were walking some old logging trails into the wind and the wind switched and 33 yds in front of us a 4X3 popped up from behind a dead fall with a log right in his vitals only to bound off.

Here's a pic from where we were hunting last year and we wanted to go farther to the right but there was a big ravine we couldn't get across, we found a road that snaked around and actually ended up being on top of the ridge but a couple miles down.

Just off the ridge to the right.

Same spot looking left.

I rained everyday we wee up there except the last, roads are red clay and greasy.

Luckily we found some old logging roads and it made walking a lot easier. Once we got up to the top there were some good meadows up there that you couldn't see from down below.

Spent some time where the aspens and dark timber met.

Pic of camp.

Pic of one of the logging roads, lots of dead falls across them.

Here's where the 4X3 was, laying down behind the 3rd log, 2 bounds and he was down in the dark timber.

Sunrise on the last morning, hike out in the dark, sweat and get cold and wait for the sun to come up and warm you up. Typical day was mid 30's when we woke up then it warmed up to 70-80.

The last day we packed up camp and tried another spot in our area on the way back. Come to find out it was a 3hr hike up to this huge meadow, this first pic only shows about a third of the mtn from the bottom.

A little over half way up, the ridge in the middle is the top from the first pic.

Further up.

Last year we hiked up through this valley, there is a private farm down there right next to the national forest, nice hay field there.

Aspens are turning color.

Finally up top, that little white line in the middle of the pic is the dirt road leading up to the parking lot at the bottom.

The meadow up top is huge.

Just to prove this old guy really made it up there.

Looking down the back side to the west.

Well too bad you couldnt bag a buck, but bet you still had a great time and saw some awesome scenery!

Well too bad you couldnt bag a buck, but bet you still had a great time and saw some awesome scenery!
Great time hunting with my son, he moved to CO 4 years ago so we don't get to do this like we used to.

I am building deer points in CO for someday.Did you see any elk.I didn't get to go elk hunting this year but my buddy just got back and saw a few

Looks like a good time. It's been a while since I've been to Colorado. Once I went to Wyoming it was my new destination. Haven't been there in a while either but I keep putting in for points. My son of 17 and I have 5 deer and elk points.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

I am building deer points in CO for someday.Did you see any elk.I didn't get to go elk hunting this year but my buddy just got back and saw a few
We saw a cow and calf, the unit we were in was OTC elk tags.

Beautiful pics. Great you got to enjoy time with your son with that as a backdrop.

Awesome views!

Great Pictures Scott!

i've been to CO several times...just never to hunt. what part of CO were you in? Ive always wanted to chase Muley's...but ive always been drawn to the Canadian ones.

i've been to CO several times...just never to hunt. what part of CO were you in? Ive always wanted to chase Muley's...but ive always been drawn to the Canadian ones.
Basically the western central part of the state, GMU 44

Excellent pics. Thanks for posting them.