All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clothing: How do you beat the frigid wind?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I layer up really well and can stay warm in any temp except when the wind is blowing. I like my fleece jacket because it's quiet, but it does nothing for wind.

I recently bought a cabelas wooltimate jacket to alter my base layer. What do you guys do?

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Last year was my 1st year wearing the Wooltimate with wind shear. It works, I think you will be happy with it on windy days.

I go one of two routes...Heater Body Suit or a cheap windbreaker under my outer layer...A cheap, thin wind breaker does wonders.

I now start with First lite merino wool layers. Eventually I will have more wool mid to outer layers as it is probably your best scent control clothing you can wear besides being quiet and warm.

Heater Body Suit. You could get away with a jock strap and tennis shoes in the middle of November with an HBS.

I use a combination of cheap layers and outer layers I have acquired over the years and it sucks... I won't be buying anything new this year year, but I should get something in the next few years. Good chance I will go with the heater body suit. Then I should be able to keep using some of my cheaper stuff from what I have read.

Heater Body Suit. You could get away with a jock strap and tennis shoes in the middle of November with an HBS.
:eek:!!!!!!

Heater Body Suit. It allows me to wear minimal layers under it.

I have the typical hunting jacket and suspendered coverall combination. The combination is waterproof and windproof. I use poly layers under the outfit and when its real cold have a wool shirt and pant combination i wear under it. If I wear all of that I am sweating within 10 steps when walking in.

Purchase a heater body suit this year and will try that with allot less cloes.

Cold morning Temps around 10 degrees here and sometimes with wind.

You have to get into the HDS once in your stand. I hope I never run into you while your heading to yours. :eek::eek:

What temps are you guys considering frigid?

I'm talking 10 degrees with a 15 mph wind completely exposed in a climber.

The reason I bring this up... I bought a blue ice armor fishing suit last year. It's uninsulated. I have been out in horrendous wind in cold temps ice fishing wearing nothing more than that suit and sweatshirt underneath. I was just fine, even fishing without gloves. I could tell that I was cutting 100% of the wind out, and I had way less bulk than what I have when deer hunting.

Wool base layers, Cabelas ecws heavyweight, Cabelas ultimate windshear wool sweater, winkes scent control coveralls. Single digits and double digits wind and I stayed warm.

Box blind with a buddy heater set to high and a hard line 20lb tank attached :D
WiFi won't reach my box stand!:(
Seriously, I have enjoyed the heated box stand on some of those cold days.
I can sit and read the paper, or a magazine.
I even see a deer on a rare occasion.

WiFi won't reach my box stand!:(
Seriously, I have enjoyed the heated box stand on some of those cold days.
I can sit and read the paper, or a magazine.
I even see a deer on a rare occasion.
At least you see deer.

Google Milwaukee heated jacket.

I bought one last year with an extra battery made it my second base layer and couldn't set it past medium.

Now if I could figure out the cold foot.

T honey note: Works best with ground blind

Attachments

• T Honey.JPG
    T Honey.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 10
Google Milwaukee heated jacket.

I bought one last year with an extra battery made it my second base layer and couldn't set it past medium.

Now if I could figure out the cold foot.

Put these in good boots, and your feet will stay warm (in extreme cold I might change them out half way though the day if I'm on an all day sit):
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UQXAT6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I need to try that Milwaukee jacket!

-John

It was 23 degrees Sat morning so I used my IWOM suit for the first time. I must say for cold weather hunting, the suit lives up to the hype. Incredibly warm w/ just jeans and a sweatshirt underneath. With long underwear and a layer or two, I don't think single digits or even negative temps would be a problem for extended sits.

I have used this battery operated back wrap. It works good. It is basically not a layer. Works with your existing outfit. No bulk. One size so it can be shared with someone else (kid) and not have to worry about size. When you start to feel the chill it feels really good to warm up your lower back.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbings-core-heat-back-wrap.html

A spare battery is nice. Cabela's rebranded this line and I found a battery on clearance. It was like winning a mini lottery.

You still need a good wind proof layer and insulation. Wind can suck the heat out of you no matter how many layers you are wearing. HBS lives up to the hype. Cabela's wind sheer line work well as others have stated.

Battery heated jacket sounds good. Looks like there is a Makita one, we already use makita cordless stuff so that would work well.