Clethodim or wicking bar for grass in clover plot.

D Hunter

5 year old buck +
We have several Durana plots that are getting run over with Johnson grass, crab grass and other grass we don't know the names of . Clethodim or wicking bar for the best solution? Thanks. D Hunter.

I've used both. A wicking bar makes herbicides selective by height. It is most effective if your target "weed" is taller than your durana. Since you can use any kind of herbicide it lets you deal with problematic weeds that are not highly susceptible to herbicides that Durana will tolerate. Cleth will cover fewer weeds, but can address covered weeds that are not significantly taller than your clover.

I've become much more tolerant of most summer weeds and grasses. You can use either technique if cool season grasses that really compete with the Durana are an issue. Most of my summer grasses help shade the durana from the heavy summer sun. I mow pretty low just before the season when the nights get cool and our fall rains come. The environment advantages the Durana so much that the weeds don't really end up being an issue for me in clover.

This is not to say that in other situations, folks may want to reduce weeds.

Thanks,

Jack

agrisupply has a couple options for wipers.I have one but have only used once.I now use volunteer for grass and mow for broadleaf

Speaking of which, I have some johnson grass in pastures I am going to take care of and would prefer a wicking bar. How efficient are they? Waste chemical? Or, work pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spray cleth for grasses in my plots. It comes in various brand names - just look on the label - the active ingredient is actually Clethodim. Tends to not be the cheapest stuff. That is where a wick bar can have an advantage as you can use gly which per gallon is cheaper.

cleth does it for me, kills the grasses... but leaves the rest. Currently debating spraying with gly at a light rate in hopes of knocking back non grass enemies such as PA smartweed.

Speaking of which, I have some johnson grass in pastures I am going to take care of and would prefer a wicking bar. How efficient are they? Waste chemical? Or, work pretty well.

I would NEVER be without one. They are incredibly effective. There are many different sizes. Get the right one to reduce your work. I assume you are thinking of hand held? I have a 12-inch for cleanup work and a double headed 24-inch for plot work. Use a 1:1 mix of gly and water. If you are man enough to swing one, it will do everything you want it to do. I guess wicking was more popular when Roundup was $190 a gallon, but, still, being able to play a height differential is butt-kicking awesome!

cleth does it for me, kills the grasses... but leaves the rest. Currently debating spraying with gly at a light rate in hopes of knocking back non grass enemies such as PA smartweed.

Give it a try. I've not been the least bit successful killing smartweed with a does of gly that won't kill the clover. It's not called smartweed for no reason!

We have several Durana plots that are getting run over with Johnson grass, crab grass and other grass we don't know the names of . Clethodim or wicking bar for the best solution? Thanks. D Hunter.

Clethodim on Johnsongrass is like peanut butter on bread.

I would NEVER be without one. They are incredibly effective. There are many different sizes. Get the right one to reduce your work. I assume you are thinking of hand held? I have a 12-inch for cleanup work and a double headed 24-inch for plot work. Use a 1:1 mix of gly and water. If you are man enough to swing one, it will do everything you want it to do. I guess wicking was more popular when Roundup was $190 a gallon, but, still, being able to play a height differential is butt-kicking awesome!

Dan,

I do not want a hand held one. I have too much ground to cover. I would like one that mounts to a tractor in the front I suppose.

Dan,

I do not want a hand held one. I have too much ground to cover. I would like one that mounts to a tractor in the front I suppose.

The only drawback I can see is coverage width. Still, I'm a big fan of rope wick applicators.

Dan,

I got mine from Rodgers. They are not expensive as implements go. They also sell the fittings so you can make your own. Mine is 10'. The PVC pipe was not quite rigid enough for me. I used plumbing straps and strapped it to a 2x6. I then put brackets on the 2x6 that allow me to connect it to the loader instead of a bucket. This lets me easily raise and lower it from the cab as needed when I move from field to field.

Thanks,

Jack

I used plateau on JG and it kills it dead,they have changed it to something else but look and see what it was,might have been rugged.Another thing for you guys with JG.Here in Kansas most counties noxious weed dept will either sell the chemical at a discount or give a coupon to buy at your local coop at a discounted rate.It is worth checking on,I save 50.00 per jug