All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cider makers

wooduck

5 year old buck +
Have you tried , everyone makes sweet ciders , a few make hard cider , try apple cider syrup , take cider evaporate off excess liquid same as maple syrup but you start with much sweeter product syrup yield is much higher in relation to gallons used , have made several batches so far this year very sweet intense apple flavor . have been using an open crock pot without lid on high for most of the day then finish the following day on low as I get closer to finished . Now I have to buy evaporation equipment to generate more volume have sampled to people at the orchard and very few don't like the intense apple taste . Going to be a new product for us

Have you tried , everyone makes sweet ciders , a few make hard cider , try apple cider syrup , take cider evaporate off excess liquid same as maple syrup but you start with much sweeter product syrup yield is much higher in relation to gallons used , have made several batches so far this year very sweet intense apple flavor . have been using an open crock pot without lid on high for most of the day then finish the following day on low as I get closer to finished . Now I have to buy evaporation equipment to generate more volume have sampled to people at the orchard and very few don't like the intense apple taste . Going to be a new product for us

I have read about it, but never tried. How do you judge when it is done and what is the yield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd really like to make some apple syrup. Does a crock pot boil? I've read that you are to evaporate the water off at 190 degrees or lower. That if you boil it the syrup's apple flavor is lost.

Still working out the details on timing first batch yielded 20 ounces to one gallon seemed to have some jelling as with natural pectin's , second batch no pectin's but was made with riper fruit yield was about the same jarred it refrigerated very thick when cool , label will say refrigerate after opening have not tested ph yet but would assume its acidic . You wont need a lot on your pancakes to get the flavor you want this stuff is intense a little goes along ways , may work great for people with sugar problems

Still working out the details on timing first batch yielded 20 ounces to one gallon seemed to have some jelling as with natural pectin's , second batch no pectin's but was made with riper fruit yield was about the same jarred it refrigerated very thick when cool , label will say refrigerate after opening have not tested ph yet but would assume its acidic . You wont need a lot on your pancakes to get the flavor you want this stuff is intense a little goes along ways , may work great for people with sugar problems

Does it jell more with dolgo and other crabs with pectin in them?

Haven't used any dolgo but a blend of several sweetango, harlson, honeycrisp , sweetsixteen , chesnut , wickson , the pectin didn't bother me but may with consumers

I have a buddy cooking down a gallon of cider we made. It has about 50% chestnut in the cider.