Chinkapin and Dwarf Chinkapin Planted!!

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
I am excited!! Just planted my first Chinkapins and DCO's. Does anyone have any experience with them when they start producing? How well do the whitetail prefer them?

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I see pretty heavy use under chinkapin oak around here. It’s the only white oak that grows in some areas.

I don’t have any experience with DCO but would like to experiment with it and other shrub oaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both on my place. They drop at different times (DCO drop ends right before chinkapin starts). Deer hammer both.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That is good to hear. What is the time frame for when they drop?

I don't remember the dates, but DCO is the first followed by chinks, then burr and red/pin oaks. The red oaks are the only ones that stay on the ground for any amount of time. The rest are gobbled up quickly. I want to say it all starts about the middle of September... but I may be off a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My bare root DCOs planted 12/14 started producing a few acorns fall 2018

i planted 100bare root chinkapin oaks and 100 DCO 11/18

Lets compare notes over the next few seasons

bill

That sounds awesome. Sure will.
Thanks for all of the responses.

I have chinkapins naturally and the critters love them. The thing is because of the small acorn size, many birds and the like even eat them, so they don't last long. I don't have DCO so the chinkapins are the very first ones for me to drop. The chinkapins here start dropping in roughly late september (which is even before our deer season opens). I have seen trees that are 10 years old produce acorns in the right conditions. Here they like full sun and a coarse, upland soil with very little clay that drains well. Chinkapin is the primary white oak species on my place.