All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese Chestnut

O

Owl City

Anyone try any Chinese chestnut trees?

Hello Owl City, Last year I bought 15 bare root Chinese Chestnuts (3 different varieties - all which were reported as hardy to 30 below) from Red Fern in IA. I placed them in 5 gal Root Maker pots and kept them at my home (near Madison) throughout the summer and then planted at my farm in Jackson County in October. They were about 3 - 4 ft. tall when planted using 5 ft. Miracle tubes with a Lumite ground mat. I checked them last week they all had green buds. Time will tell how they will do.

Here's some additional info regarding the Chinese Chestnuts I planted last year. I bought five each of the following varieties: Shotgun, Oxing, and Mossberger from Red Fern. Here's their website: http://www.redfernfarm.com/tree03.htm .

Here's a few photo's from last year showing the bare root and fall planting:

Chestnut-BR[1].jpg
Chestnut-fall[1].jpg
Chestnut-tubed[1].jpg

Must've been you I discussed CC's with on the other forums 2nd hand :rolleyes: I contacted Red Fern last winter about their hardiest CC's and they informed me they were sold out for '14. I could have put a pre-order in for '15 (and paid for them) but did not

Yep, it was me...;) This year I am trying Dunstan's (probably to many of them)....

I'm trying Dunstans too....I have very little optimism about them making it this far north, but sure hope I'm wrong

I feel the same way - I struggled with the purchase of 100 tree tubes for something I wasn't sure would survive. My plan is to locate the Dunstan's in different areas to see if more or less sun will make a difference with their survival. Good Luck!!

The Mossberger is suppose to be cold tolerant to -40. I wonder if that is true? How large of a tree does the Mossberger produce? I would be interested in giving Chestnuts a try if there is a chance they can make it at my place.