Chestnuts and QDM

WMObowhunter

Yearling... With promise
Still new to the habitat improvements, and continuing to soak it up. I see a ton of threads regarding chestnut plantings, on this forum and other forums. Does anyone have some literature/links to threads as to why they are such a popular item for QDM? Are they aggressive growers and quick producers? Are you planting them one by one in strategic locations to promote deer traffic or are you planting them in groves for more Human Consumption?

I think they are kind of a fad. I think people want something the neighbors don't have to help draw in deer. Deer do apparently like them and they provide variety.

They don't produce a lot compared to acorns...maybe they produce sooner I'm not sure. I have tried to grow them with not much success but I am on the northern fringe of where they probably will grow.

Most chestnuts planted are for wildlife and very few are planted in orchard fashion for human consumption. At one time the American Chestnut ruled the Appalachian Forest but the blight finally removed most of them.
The chestnut has more to offer a deer than people think. If you were planting chestnuts they need to be strategically planted since the sun is important to produce the burs and they are air pollenated - not insect pollenated.
I grow chestnut seedlings and sell chestnuts to people that want to grow in containers or direct seed. I always tell folks to plant at least three seedlings in a line or a triangle at 20 to 25 feet apart.
They grow in Missouri without any problem. In Wisconsin it is depend upon the location North or South. I have shipped chestnuts to Wisconsin individuals.
My two cents ...

Last edited:
Chestnuts historically were an important for source. What people plant now are Chinese chestnut or Chinese American hybrids. They won't grow as tall as an American chestnut so you would not want to plant them with oaks for future forest and timber. Chestnuts flower later so they tend to miss frosts that can hurt acorns or apples. Depending on your hunting season dates, it can be hard to get chestnuts dropping when you want... Sort of like the search for late dropping sawtooth oaks.

Diversity, attraction, feed, various reasons people plant chestnuts.

I would also add there is marketing money behind the Dunstan chestnut brand so you see ads for that. So if you want, you can buy expensive seedlings for a true "deer plot" chestnut tree or plant Chinese seedlings from somewhere else or start from seed.

Last edited:
I planted 100 Dunstand chestnuts 4 years ago in tubes. Biggest mistake of my life was to put them in tubes. The mice ate the piss out of the trees. Most were chewed right off, but have resprouted and our now doing ok after we took them out of the tubes and caged and screened them.

SDC11865.JPG

I think they are kind of a fad. I think people want something the neighbors don't have to help draw in deer. Deer do apparently like them and they provide variety.

They don't produce a lot compared to acorns...maybe they produce sooner I'm not sure. I have tried to grow them with not much success but I am on the northern fringe of where they probably will grow.

I would not call them a fad. They can be an important part of a habitat management program. I will say that Dunstan chestnuts (a cross between American and Chinese) has really been over-hyped in the hunting literature.

History:

The American Chestnut was the dominant overstory tree in eastern forests for many year and the primary nut source for wildlife. A blight killed most of our American chestnuts years ago. Chinese chestnuts are resistant to the blight. Folks like Mr. Dunstan hybridized American and Chinese chestnuts to produce a chestnut that has more American characteristics but is resistant to the blight. The American Chestnut Foundation has been working toward hybridizing a strain of chestnuts that have a very high percentage American. There is also some recent GMO technology (not yet approved) that claims to make the American chestnut resistant to the blight.

Practically speaking:

American chestnuts tend to grow straight and tall and are a great timber tree. Chinese chestnuts tend to branch early and don't have the same timber value. From a wildlife perspective it doesn't matter much as long as the trees don't get blight or are able to produce nuts in the presence of blight. Chestnut Hill has branded the name Dunstan chestnuts and done an amazing job of marketing them to the hunting community.

Chestnuts can produce nuts much sooner than most white oaks and they are one of the few nuts preferred over white oaks by deer. They have a high carb content making them an excellent pre-winter food. Most tend to drop a bit earlier than most oaks. Many oaks can take 20 years to produce their first crop of nuts where a chestnut can produce its first nuts in a few years.

Auburn has patented several Chinese chestnuts with good wildlife characteristics. I believe they are now licensed to and sold by the Wildlife Group. If your objective is solely attraction, there may be a lot of other options to consider. If you plan to use chestnuts to feed your herd and part of a permaculture strategy, they are a great option for areas where they grow well. The problem is that unless you have deep pockets, getting enough volume of chestnuts to have a true food impact is impractical buying from the sources advertised to hunters. Chestnut Hill sells their trees through Walmart in many areas now and they can command upwards of $20 per tree. For this reason, many guys doing QDM are growing their own from nuts.

I started my permaculture project several years ago. I started with Dunstan chestnuts. One solid source for nuts is Chestnut Ridge of Pike County. Keep in mind that chestnuts are not completely "true to seed". That means that when you grow one from seed (verses grafting), the trees may not have the same characteristics as the parent tree (consequence of sexual propagation). So, when we talk about growing Dunstan Chestnuts from seed, we are actually growing some kind of hybrid chestnut that we are starting from Dunstan trees.

I found growing trees from nuts and seeds to be a great cabin fever project for winter. The setup cost is not low, but when you amortize it over multiple years and the number of trees you can get, you cost per tree goes way down (presuming you count your labor as a labor of love). Wbpdeer has focused on Chinese chestnuts and has developed a great deal of practical experience growing them in just a short time. I have transferred some of my threads related to growing chestnuts over from the QDMA site. Here is a thread from 2012 that got me started growing them: https://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46975 Since they are closing the forum I don't know how long it will be available.

No Magic Beans:

There no magic beans when it comes to habitat management. Chestnuts can be an important part of a habitat management plan but they must be part of an overall strategy to be effective.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Jack,

Wrong thread? That one is taking me to a Jeff Sturgis Trail Cam link.

Great information so far, guys. Wayne, I will be sure to view the Tree Project Thread this evening!

Jack,

Wrong thread? That one is taking me to a Jeff Sturgis Trail Cam link.

Great information so far, guys. Wayne, I will be sure to view the Tree Project Thread this evening!

Sorry when I deleted the highlight from the url I used to find it I accidently deleted one number off the end. The link should work now.

Thanks,

Jacm

Garrett,

I shipped 111 orders of Chinese Chestnuts last fall to 26 states. I had shipped the year before. I have great source trees in my hometown and family to collect "Chinese Chestnuts". Here is a photo to show what 3,100 looks like. These were collected in Sept 2015 on a Saturday morning. I walked like Frankenstein for the next three days. Ha Ha

Chinese Chestnuts Sept 12 2015.JPG

Now I am retired (Oct 2015) so this fall I will collect around 10,000 I expect.

I have tried to grow them with not much success but I am on the northern fringe of where they probably will grow.

How far north are you? Giving them a go this year, planning to baby them through this winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How far north are you? Giving them a go this year, planning to baby them through this winter.

I got chestnuts from wbpdeer 2 years ago and last fall. The ones that I got two years ago and transplanted into their permanent homes last fall are doing great. I'm in northern Oconto County.

I got chestnuts from wbpdeer 2 years ago and last fall. The ones that I got two years ago and transplanted into their permanent homes last fall are doing great. I'm in northern Oconto County.
That's encouraging, I'm a tad north of that (land) on the opposite side of the state.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a grove of Chinese with about 8 trees in 2 rows I started spring of 2015. They are all healthy. I also scattered some Dunstans a friends gave me around the farm on the sunny edges of kill plots. I like the fact that they blossom late and usually produce nuts every year. No reason not to try to incorporate them in your habitat plan if your area will support them.

I'm a big fan of chestnuts even though I've yet to have a tree produce. I tried since 06 just planting American trees and while I still have that dream of a solid block of 120' tall chestnut producing machines, reality finally set in and I started adding dunstan and Chinese to the mix on our other place. The ability to miss late frosts and still produce a ton of mast for deer, Turkey, and squirrels, I think at least, make chestnuts a great addition to your habitat mix.

One of the reasons I chose Dunstan trees is because one of the characteristics is supposed to be that the nuts are supposed to fall from the husk. Some chestnuts the entire husk falls with nuts inside. Eventually they open of course, but it makes it difficult for deer to extract them from the husks. Whether they perform as advertised is still to be determined. I haven't had any produce nuts yet, but my trees in the field get almost no care once planted.

Positives to chestnuts include they produce earlier than oaks, they bloom late so typically when they start producing they don't miss hears do to late frost, have i a high carb and I believe protein content, its claimed deer prefer chestnuts to acorns though I can't back this claim up with personal experience.

In my retirement years I hope to have a nice chestnut grove so I can sell chestnuts to all the deer guys that think they are the only food deer will eat!

I cant wait for the cash to fly in!!!!!

Positives to chestnuts include they produce earlier than oaks, they bloom late so typically when they start producing they don't miss hears do to late frost, have i a high carb and I believe protein content, its claimed deer prefer chestnuts to acorns though I can't back this claim up with personal experience.

I've seen the same thing, but I don't view preference very finely. There are foods that deer prefer over others in general, but that varies over time with the stage of the food. Another factor that seems even more important than preference is location. I've seen deer completely ignore prime foods for lower quality foods that they perceived they could access with lower risk. So, other than saying that both acorns and chestnuts are highly preferred deer foods, I wouldn't put too fine a point on it.

My trees are old enough now that I'll be disappointed if I don't see at least a few of them begin producing a few nuts next year.

Thanks,

Jack

In my retirement years I hope to have a nice chestnut grove so I can sell chestnuts to all the deer guys that think they are the only food deer will eat!

I cant wait for the cash to fly in!!!!!

Grind 'em up and put them in a bag with really big buck on it, call it SuperMegaChestnutMagicMonster and you can sell it Alpha Doe for heavy cash! :D

In summary. .......they are not the end all. They are a PIECE of the puzzle. Form that reason I am planting oaks, persimmon, apple, pear, etc

Diversity of offerings helps promote year long draw and year long health........think of the food pyramid!