central wisconsin bobcat

I have 5-6 bobcat encounters on my game cams the last 12 months ... we are just soutest of you.

They look like a tough predator ... can't imagine a yote or a wolf ever messing with them.

This is the first one we've had.

We get 1 - 5 pictures per year. But never any pattern or repeats. Very nomadic as far as I can tell. Seeing one live from a tree stand is on my bucket list.

-John

I watched 3 from a tree stand one year. It appeared to be a pair and their offspring. One came and sat in my food plot and the other two executed a rabbit drive along the woods edge. One bunny came out and the poster in the food plot made quick work of it, and off they went. They are pretty common at my place.

This is the first one we've had.
I've never personally saw one outside the Necedah NWR anywhere in Juneau Co. but your proximity to the Refuge makes it not so surprising that you would have them on your place. I do know they have been in southern Juneau Co. in the areas around Elroy and Wonewoc for many, many years, because the farmers I knew in those areas would tell me all the time whenever they would see them. As far as predators go, bears, yotes, and wolves get a dose of lead poisoning, foxes and bobcats get a pass from me.

I've never personally saw one outside the Necedah NWR anywhere in Juneau Co. but your proximity to the Refuge makes it not so surprising that you would have them on your place. I do know they have been in southern Juneau Co. in the areas around Elroy and Wonewoc for many, many years, because the farmers I knew in those areas would tell me all the time whenever they would see them. As far as predators go, bears, yotes, and wolves get a dose of lead poisoning, foxes and bobcats get a pass from me.
I would've bet on us gettting a wolf or even a bear before a bobcat. But I'll gladly take a bobcat instead ;):D.

according to the PAGC bobcat are the number 3 predator of fawns in the commonwealth. Yote, bear, bobcat. From what i can tell it takes a pretty good sized cat, and the perfect timing ie when fawns are still just hunkered down and maybe for a short while once they start following mom and arent quite up to speed yet. But yotes and bears can still be problematic on young deer throughout the year.

I trapped a 32lb male once, and it appeared that the yotes tried to give it a run while it was in the trap. The cat must of put up enough of a fight to make them move on. The cat had puncture would in its hind leg and had some fur missing. yote tracks in the snow circling the catch cirlce. I had 3 encounters with that cat prior to getting him in the trap. first encounter was from at eye level as i was still hunting a creek bed on a windy and rainy day. Our eyes met at 3 yards as he popped up on a downed limb. He just gave me a short stare and then walked down the limb away from me and disappeared. the second encounter was during rifle season. I was stalking the down wind edge of a strip of standing corn as he stalked toward me about 3 rows into the corn. he never broke stride or gave any indication he was aware of me. Most years i get a few trail cam pics and have a couple of sitings of cats.

I see them all the time around camp and in the surrounding mountains. Cool animal. I've only ever seen 1 with a fawn that it killed. In June and it was a fresh kill - it had kittens with it. Fawn was tiny. Most times I see them they are mousing or chasing squirrels - no shortage of either.

I'd much rather see less bears & yotes than cats. Cats & foxes keep our mice / vole populations under control.