Cave In The Rock Bedding

Big Snow Man

5 year old buck +
I’m thinking about turning one of my food plots into a bedding area if I can get a logger to extend my other large plot. My question is if I use Cave In The Rock and Blackwell mix do you think this can get almost to thick for bedding compared using a CPR mix with some other warm season grasses. Which will produce a better bedding area?

I don't think it would be too thick, but might be good idea to mow a trail through it.

They have just started using my switch fields for bedding and I thought the thickest CIR wouldn't be used but it is. I have pure stands of CIR that is pretty thick and fields of CIR that aren't so thick plus fields of big blue, indian grass, golden rod and I've seen more bedding in the pretty thick CIR. I'm going to walk them all after season and see which has worked better.

Would try the switch after observing my friend's warm season grass field of big bluestem, indian grass, and forbs mix not stand up to WI winters. The pheasants all move into the cedar swamp when the prairie area goes kaput. If you are wanting bedding into Dec only but not much later then nwsg are ok.

I'm not sure about central WI. So maybe call and ask.
And I don't like to endorse products. But I did one of those Don Higgins dare to compare things a few years back. Honestly, I thought I'd be sayimg it was BS. My real world switch is unbelievable in comparison to CIR. I've never tried Blackwell so I can't compare on that. The suggested rate was 2lbs per acre. (Double check the rate also) 5 years in its thick as the hair on dogs back.

Just another option.

I hear you Bill I was considering Don’s mix verses straight switch. I walked past some CIR today that I used to divide a field up and I thought how in the hell would a deer lay in anything that thick. Maybe I’m wrong.

I hear you Bill I was considering Don’s mix verses straight switch. I walked past some CIR today that I used to divide a field up and I thought how in the hell would a deer lay in anything that thick. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think that's why Don recommends 2lbs per acre of seed. Eventually it will over seed itself. Mine still has lots of room between bunches. I know the small kritters must love it because Hawks hunt that field everyday all day.