Caring For Fruit Tree Grafts

Starting to have some doubts about this graft. Two buds sprouted on the scion and both were flower buds. I snipped the flowers off today, but there isn't a lot of leaf growth there. Time will tell I guess, but the lack of growth has me a bit concerned about long term survival.
Make sure you keep the good one for yourself.

I have had several start to bloom, and I just pulled the blossoms off. Most have started to form leaves.

I pulled the tape off a couple of my grafts today and they looked pretty solid. Out of 53 grafts I have about 8 that didn't take. 3 of them were pear rootstock from cummins that never leafed out themselves. I'm going to be contacting them for a refund.

Looks like I sent you some crappy scions Art. Sorry about that. They seemed to be good wood

One of those anaros is stating to show some green!
Another anaros broke off when I pulled the tube/screen off of it. The scion was still green under the bark, but my grafting technique was poor.

Well thanks for that update. Glad my scion delivery skills reputation is restored lol. I just pulled 5 roots out of the root trappers to see what was going on and it seems most of the withered buds are a result of root failure. I also have one wealthy tree that was doing great but is now listing to one side and not very perky. I may be losing that one too :(

Well thanks for that update. Glad my scion delivery skills reputation is restored lol. I just pulled 5 roots out of the root trappers to see what was going on and it seems most of the withered buds are a result of root failure. I also have one wealthy tree that was doing great but is now listing to one side and not very perky. I may be losing that one too :(
What was the type of rootstock and the source?
I did not have one rootstock wrapped well and it dried out, but is now shooting some leaves.

Frost might have got a few of my cleft grafts, or they just failed, or the plastic sleeves touched them on the frosty nights. It appears as one or two clefts had a complete failure, all of the
others are still showing some growth on at least one scion.

I have two sickly grafts that look like the rootstock failed. B118 from Cummins. The graft produced a small bud that leafed ok. They have turned brown and are dying. The rootstock didn't produce any buds so I'm leaning towards the rootstock.
I just left a message at cummins about 4 OHxF97 pear rootstock. Haven't got a response yet, anyone have experience refunding with them?

I just left a message at cummins about 4 OHxF97 pear rootstock. Haven't got a response yet, anyone have experience refunding with them?

I am curious as to what their response will be. I would guess no refund, due to the nature of the product and the process of grafting in general.

I am curious as to what their response will be. I would guess no refund, due to the nature of the product and the process of grafting in general.
They are going to hear it, if this is the case. The roots were laughable. The tree had plenty of rootstock wood to live, there just wast any roots.
If I cut the stock down to nothing, I get that would be on me, but I intentionally left more wood on the stock than I normally do because they looked so weak to begin with.
They better stand behind selling me garbage!

I got 10 rootstocks from Cummins this spring - 5 B-118 and 5 MM-111. I told them I wanted to graft them this spring and they didn't tell me to grow them out for a year. FWIW.

What was the type of rootstock and the source?
I did not have one rootstock wrapped well and it dried out, but is now shooting some leaves.

Frost might have got a few of my cleft grafts, or they just failed, or the plastic sleeves touched them on the frosty nights. It appears as one or two clefts had a complete failure, all of the
others are still showing some growth on at least one scion.
It's g11 I think from Cummins. No frost issues and could be graft problem. It's a hit and miss proposition. That's what makes it fun

I got 10 rootstocks from Cummins this spring - 5 B-118 and 5 MM-111. I told them I wanted to graft them this spring and they didn't tell me to grow them out for a year. FWIW.
I haven't grown out but the rootstocks from last year that didn't have scion break really produced strong growth this year. Amazingly so

Very,very nice NH.

WOW - that's good growth since April !! Nice job.