Canning 101

A friend of my wife gave us a jar of canned venison last year. We had to make our own, after tasting how great it was. We canned a load this year and already regret not canning more. Used a jar to make tacos, best tacos ever.....

Bought an All American 21 1/2 quart pressure cooker this year. I did a bunch of the backstrap. Put in raw and the pressure does the cooking. I have used this for tacos. Really amazing. Taste/texture similar to pulled pork/beef. Also did 25 lbs of ground which you have to cook first. Amazing in chili, breakfast skillets, etc. Really happy I saw you guys post about canned venison or I never would have known. Thanks!

So last summer I had a bunch of indeterminate tomatoes in the garden- Brandywine and Mortgage Lifters mostly. Big beautiful fruit that comes on a few at a time. So I tossed them washed and cored into the freezer and forgot about them. When my wife mentioned that we were getting low on tomato juice, I knew exactly what to do on a snowy February Saturday.
55c8fbcf0d356befe3ef0d1652ba0006.jpg
d994eb94065b74dd15487362c8dec354.jpg
4d5eacf603c84c3e2cb17251153162a5.jpg

It turned out great, and it was nice adding the heat and humidity to the house in the winter, instead of August!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So last summer I had a bunch of indeterminate tomatoes in the garden- Brandywine and Mortgage Lifters mostly. Big beautiful fruit that comes on a few at a time. So I tossed them washed and cored into the freezer and forgot about them. When my wife mentioned that we were getting low on tomato juice, I knew exactly what to do on a snowy February Saturday.

It turned out great, and it was nice adding the heat and humidity to the house in the winter, instead of August!

Mortgage lifter -- My favorite eating tomato

Mine too. I like how well they keep from splitting, unlike a lot of beefsteak type tomatoes.

Mine too. I like how well they keep from splitting, unlike a lot of beefsteak type tomatoes.

Is the EW a secret ingredient?

Is the EW a secret ingredient?
It is. It helps with the patience while watch the pressure gage and creativity when modifying the ingredients for improvements!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just curious,
Living on well water that is naturally hard.

Is there any way to keep the jars from getting cloudy after they come out of the canner.
Most of the time they have a white film covering them.
Mostly an issue with the jars on the lower rack.

Any suggestions?

Have heard the rumor of adding white vinegar to the water, but then heard people say don't do that for some reason, not really sure.
Any help appreciated

Just curious,
Living on well water that is naturally hard.

Is there any way to keep the jars from getting cloudy after they come out of the canner.
Most of the time they have a white film covering them.
Mostly an issue with the jars on the lower rack.

Any suggestions?

Have heard the rumor of adding white vinegar to the water, but then heard people say don't do that for some reason, not really sure.
Any help appreciated
I added vinegar

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trampled - We had hard water before we installed a softener. I canned & had the white film too. It's lime scale and won't hurt the jars at all, but to avoid the film IN the jars, I used gallons of bottled water just to fill jars if needed. It depends on what you're canning, if you need extra water or not. The exterior film is only a cosmetic problem - it doesn't look "nice".

I never tried vinegar, but suspect it would possibly rust your rings. Then they may be too rusty to re-use next year.

Never thought to used distilled water from the store by the gallon.

Know the issue is only cosmetic.
Tried wiping them down after they came out of the canner but that only marginally helped.

Just finding now that after that exterior film has set on the jars for some time,
they have become a royal pain in donkey to get crystal clean now.

I'm not on a well but I do use vinegar.

Most pressure canner manuals say to add 3 tablespoons of white vinegar to the water inside the canner. Bowsnbucks, you’re not leaving your rings on the finished jars, are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^^ I don't on most things, but I do for a few weeks on others. Things that aren't acidic, like beets or venison, I let those on for a bit just to make sure all is sealed and set before I disturb them by removing rings. Just me being extra cautious.

We canned venison WAY late this year, we had ran out and really wanted some more. Had approximately 60 lbs of meat in the freezer between myself and a friend.

Packed jars:
packed jars.jpg

We start them on a turkey fryer to get them up to pressure:
turkey fryer.jpg

Then we move them to a camp stove to hold the temp for 90 minutes:
camp stove.jpg

Keeping them between 10 and 15 lbs of pressure can be a pain on one and simple on the other. Finding the sweet spot isn't always easy:
pressure.jpg

37 quarts were successful:
Finished Jars.jpg

We discovered these jar holders called "JarBox". I can finally quit trying to save the cardboard boxes the jars come in:
jar totes.jpg

We only had 1 jar that didn't seal. No problem, Jake and I had strogonoff with home made egg noodles (Jake made them, it was his idea). It doesn't look too great but it sure tasted good:

strogonoff.jpg

I hope to be making more soon, as deer season is upon us!

-John

What seasoning did you put in the jars on the meat?

What seasoning did you put in the jars on the meat?

1 tablespoon of Lawrys seasoned salt.

I don't like to add much because you can't take it back out, but you can always add stuff when you cook with it.

-John

Very nice. Last year was my first year canning and I will be doing a couple deer a year from here on out. It was a bit intimidating at first but not hard at all once I got up the nerve to try it. I am down to my last pint jar from last years deer, good thing deer season is here. I was going to try Lawry's last year but wasn't sure you could use it for canning so I tracked down some actual canning salt. I am going to try the Lawry's this year.