Can someone identify this weed/thorn

HuntIL2

Yearling... With promise
I have this red-ish colored thorny stuff growing in my timber. Does anyone know what this is? I'd like to get rid of it.weed2.jpg

looks like blackberry canes. If you have not seen much for berries might be evil stuff such as multiflora rose but that ones I have seen are more green for a stem.

I agree, it looks like blackberry brush. That is my prefered cover in deer bedding areas.

Flowering and berry production is often limited by shade. Good deer browse though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Not an expert, but I would have been certain that I picked black raspberries this spring off purple canes just like these. I'll need to look back through my summer pictures to see if I have any photos.

....a positive ID will be made when Native Hunter sees this thread.....

bill

I have both wild raspberry and wild blackberry growing on my place. In the winter time the canes can look very similar, but I'm leaning toward raspberry on these.

They will come up in timber (especially a place where the canopy has been opened a little) but generally not fruit, due to lack of sunlight. After the canopy starts closing back in, they will eventually just disappear and be replaced with tree saplings. Log it again in 50 years, and they will pop right back out immediately.

I agree with others that there is no reason to worry about these. Deer will browse the tips and leaves, and they provide good cover. However, if you get them in a NWSG field, get ready to spend some big money getting rid of them. They can take over a NWSG field in just a couple of seasons.

OK I'll have to pay more attention to them. I honestly don't remember seeing them have any sort of berries on the plant. I also don't recall if the vines had leaves of any kind over the summer. That being said, yes they are growing in an open area in my timber right along a creek that runs through the middle of the property so it's exactly like Native Hunter described.

Thanks for all of the help