Buying a JD 855, 24hp diesel. Advice please

Da U.P. 'eh

5 year old buck +
Sorry, I first posted this under buy/sell/trade and realized that was probably not the best place, so here we go.

I'm planning to buy a 1990 John Deere 855, 24hp diesel tractor. It is 4 wheel drive with a 70A loader, hydrostatic transmission, with 3200 hours on it. Is there anything in particular that I should know about, or look for, on this model tractor? What size implements should I use or look for on this tractor: disk, mower, tiller?

Any help, comments, or advice would be appreciated.

I have a 1991 770 with the same loader. I bought it when I had my landscaping business, so it has turf tires. You will be amazed at the work it will do. Mine can still pull a 2 bottom plow, even with the turf tires. I run a 5' tiller, 4' bush hog.

IMO that's a bunch of hours on it, so be prepared for possible motor work in the near future!
as for things to look for< all the bushings on the loader, look for welds, where repairs were done!
leaks , HOW dry or not lines look.
next will be HOW easy the loader comes off, running all the time with a loader on is a lot of added stress on things
SO
how are tires, old and or dry at all? are they filled or not?

as for a disc? a small disc should be fine behind it, say MAX 6 ft and a 4 ft brush hog will be about max before your really taxing the motor!
general rule of thumb on brush hogs typically is about 7 hp per ft of mower!
after this, its basic's things to look for rust, and again leaks, smoke from exhaust and so on!, if your NOT good at this, most dealers will do a once over on it for a fee, which pending your costs, can be a help or not?
OR you can go to a dealer have chat with some of there techs and offer cash to go with you??

It's a lot of hours, but not so many I'd be afraid of it. I think it's a Yanmar, good motors.

Sorry, I first posted this under buy/sell/trade and realized that was probably not the best place, so here we go.

I'm planning to buy a 1990 John Deere 855, 24hp diesel tractor. It is 4 wheel drive with a 70A loader, hydrostatic transmission, with 3200 hours on it. Is there anything in particular that I should know about, or look for, on this model tractor? What size implements should I use or look for on this tractor: disk, mower, tiller?

Any help, comments, or advice would be appreciated.

I have a 955 (33hp) with the same loader. It's a workaholic. I have 35xx hours on it. The engine has been rebuilt. I put a grapple and now am welding up a tooth bar on it. I love the hydrostatic drive. I've seen some with over 9000 hours on them.

Check the grill. If it's in good shape, screw it onto the damn tractor. Mine fell off and I ran it over. They are $500 from Deere. I bent mine back.... and zip tied it on. It now looks like shit but I'm not giving Deere $500 for a new one.

Ask them the last time it had an oil change, all filters changed, and the 200 hour maintenance (front pin greased, etc.)

Check the air filter. I would replace all the filters and fluid anyway if you purchase.

I could take my loader off in less than two minutes. Pulling the hydro hoses off from below the left foot control takes the longest.

Check how tight the loader is on the machine. I had to adjust the wedges on mine by cutting some of the recessed bolt hole area away with the sawzall. It tightened the entire loader up big time.

I run a 5' brush mower, 5' disc, 62" tiller, 55 gallon 3pt sprayer with boom, etc.

Verify the 3pt works.

Turn the wheels left and park it for a few minutes to check and verify the front left hub seal isn't leaking. Then do it to the right. If they are, you will see some of the blackest oil slowly seeping out onto the front wheels from the hub/axle.

Lower the loader and make sure it can pick the front wheels off the ground.

Make sure the 4wd works. It's simple. In 2wd Just bury the bucket into something safe, and make sure the rear tire is spinning. Then put it in 4wd and see if it doesn't want to spin anymore.

Switch it into low and high.

Verify the locking differential works.

Make sure you lift something with it, back drag with it, and let it run for at least a half an hour to warm up and check the motor.

Verify the PTO turns.

If a bunch of black crud is on the side of the engine, verify it doesn't have a head gasket leak.

Verify the radiator is full prior to starting it up.

Watch the color of the smoke that comes out of it. If you see white, that indicates coolant in the motor.

Check the dipstick and verify its only oil in the motor and no water in there.

That's all I can think of right now.

I love my 955.

34f453721a8e81ae8473231a14b9154d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk