Butternut

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Anybody know if they have nursery stock that has been developed to fight butternut canker. The local conservation club is offering these again but unless improved tree not a good bet for here. The canker has been wiping out all the native trees the last 15 years and the giant tree remaining on my land is about 90% dead now. Would be cool to replant some areas like they are trying with chestnuts in other states but futile without some different genetics

I remember a nursery in Indiana that offered some type of hybrid butternut...?

I remember a nursery in Indiana that offered some type of hybrid butternut...?

The DNR sells them I think...

The DNR sells them I think...
It's thru the division of forestry - but they will not sell to out of state.....at least not that I am aware of. I do not know if they are an improved variety or not - they simply list them as a hybrid - they are $53 for 50 bare root trees.

Not sure if this link will work - but here is a shot at it.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/3620.htm

God bless the NH Forestry guys and that project. I hope it succeeds. We're losing far too many native tree species to foreign pests / diseases. Butternut produces tasty nuts and beautiful wood. Similar to walnut in those ways.

NH Mountains, thanks for the read.

Sounds like some work is out there but not as far along as the chestnut efforts. Locally there was a fair amount of butternut around my land call it 15 years ago but the signs were already showing. I would call it about wiped out now. The last time I had any nut bearing trees was probably 10 years ago. Tried to spread and plant some but not much luck with that.