All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bur Oak or Swamp White Oak?

soavejas

A good 3 year old buck
I've always assumed these were swamp white oaks but now I'm not so sure. What do you guys think?

If you're sure one way or another what is the dead giveaway if there is one?

Also for those that have both species does there seem to be a preference by deer as far as acorns and browse go?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190305_155100.jpg
    20190305_155100.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190305_154859.jpg
    20190305_154859.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190305_154902.jpg
    20190305_154902.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190305_160802.jpg
    20190305_160802.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190305_160835.jpg
    20190305_160835.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 15518251814164535447268784619253.jpg
    15518251814164535447268784619253.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 60
Any dead leaves laying around the base?

Any dead leaves laying around the base?

Yes but I didn't grab any or snap any pictures of those. I could if that would help ID them though

Leaves are the best way to tell. Bur oak also tends to almost encapsulate the acorn with the cap and a burr oak acorn can be nearly as big as a golf ball. Also oaks can hybridize as well...so you have that to contend with as well. My experience is that burr also tend to prefer a upland type soil while SWO prefers a more bottom land type soil....but that isn't a "rule" either.

Stole some pics off the web. The main difference is with a burr oak the leaves will have deep lobes...while the SWO will not. Leaves is the best way I can tell. Also keep in mind there is a LOT of variation in leaf formation and the like as well....so you may not get a clear cut resolution.
oaks.jpg

SWO acorns form at the tip of a 1-3" "stem" or peduncle. I don't see these in your cap picture, although they may have broken off.

All the swamp whites by me have peeling bark on the branches.

The 100% sure way to tell a Bur Oak in the winter is by its branches.

The branches have raised corky looking ridges (resembling the branches of a Sweet Gum, except darker colored). No other oak has branches like that - unless perhaps it would be a Bur Oak Hybrid of some kind.

I searched and found you a picture of what I'm talking about. Look at the link below and go down about the middle of the web page.

https://www.kb.jniplants.com/bur-oak-quercus-macrocarpa/

Along with what I posted above - here is some corky bark on a 13 year old Bur oak from my farm:

meGyIxah.jpg

e10tTrjh.jpg

Forgive the use of proper terminology, but the caps in the photo you shared look to have a bit more "shaggy" appearance than the SWO I have at my place in North Florida and look a bit smaller as well.

SWO Cap.jpg

Disregard post above... we have Quercus michauxii / Swamp Chestnut White Oak down my way and it looks to be limited to growing mostly below the Mason-Dixon line. Take it you're asking about Quercus bicolor / Swamp White Oak. Jumped the gun with my post.

Link below speaks fairly well to Quercus bicolor and identifying it.

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/qubi.html

Thanks for the ideas guys. I might have to take a look for some leaves next time I'm at the property.

I'll definitely take a closer look at the bark on the branches.

It sounds like in the winter corky bark is the way of identifying the difference. How about in the summer, just the deep lobes in the leaves? Or am I safe assuming that any of these trees with a silvery underside to leaves are SWO? Hence the name Quercus Bicolor

The more I think about it I may in fact have both species on this property.

Thanks for the help guys.

SWO acorns also hang from a long stem off the branch....

Disregard post above... we have Quercus michauxii / Swamp Chestnut White Oak down my way and it looks to be limited to growing mostly below the Mason-Dixon line. Take it you're asking about Quercus bicolor / Swamp White Oak. Jumped the gun with my post.

Link below speaks fairly well to Quercus bicolor and identifying it.

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/qubi.html
Ive planted swamp chesnut oak here in KS and it is doing well

Just a little update after looking at the leaves I found some that had very deep lobes resembling bur oak and some that didn't have deep lobes resembling Swamp white.

I'm assuming I have them intermixed within the same stand. Most appeared to have flaking bark on the branches and not corky bark so I assume they are mostly swamp white.

Thanks for the help everyone!