All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Budwood?

Neahawg

5 year old buck +
Anyone order budwood from grin? I ordered some and got it yet was just curious if anyone else was still waiting.

Still waiting

Well that makes me feel better someone else is still waiting. I got a conformation email when I placed my order but so far got nothing.

Just got notification my bud wood shipped today!

Got mine today
How long can it keep before budding? Been trying to water my trees but until tonight we've only had like an inch of rain in the last month, bark not slipping yet even with some extra watering

That doesn't sound good. Reminds me that I meant to tell my dad to water a couple times this week. But he's gotten probably over 5" in the last month as he's gotten lucky with the t storms. I was planning to take wood with me to bud on Saturday.

I kept mine refrigerated last year with moist paper towels and budded within 3 days. Not sure how much longer you could go. Hopefully you got a good rain and it will be slipping for you now.

95 degrees yesterday and today with much cooler weather expected this weekend so I'm watering and waiting. Based on what I've seen on the interweb its fine to keep it in the fridge for a week or two but that isn't from personal experience! Actually one guy said he kept budwood for spring grafting and had a 20% success rate which is about 20% more than I would have thought!

So I tried something new. Bark still not slipping so I just gently shaved off the bark to expose the cambium and used grafting tape to secure the tbud into place. We'll see next spring if this works. In theory it should work just the same as a tbud, right?? Who on this form has the tag line from Nietzsche about failures and how they inform us? Love that quote.
Maybe my experiment will fail. But I had fun trying and next year we will know for sure if it works!

So I tried something new. Bark still not slipping so I just gently shaved off the bark to expose the cambium and used grafting tape to secure the tbud into place. We'll see next spring if this works. In theory it should work just the same as a tbud, right?? Who on this form has the tag line from Nietzsche about failures and how they inform us? Love that quote.
Maybe my experiment will fail. But I had fun trying and next year we will know for sure if it works!
In a sense you are chip budding. I have seen it done in the fall as well.